Our Own Definition of Privacy: Social Media Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Think of this… 

When you wake up or have a moment to yourself, 9/10 times what do you do? Most of us would say that we go on some social media app to fill up our time. It’s 2018 and social media has changed each year, it has become one of the leading forms of communication, and we use it every day. The real question we face now is, what does privacy mean to us? 

There was a time when we didn’t even have a social media account, for most of us this was in the early 2000s. Now, each and every one of us has one of these social media apps: Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube and the iconic Facebook (which most of us got when we were 12). Privacy standards have shifted with each update of social media apps, our location is shared with others through various aspects of features on them and also we tend to post more. This means we share some specific parts of our lives. Most people would say they share the best parts, however, can that be said for everyone? 

Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

A Break-Up That’s Not So Private…

Social media influencers have been on the rise, an example of one specific group of influencers that have risen in popularity is The Vlog Squad. This is a group of well-known YouTube influencers with two members in particular that broke the internet. Liza Koshy and David Dobrik announced their breakup a while ago via YouTube resulting in a whopping amount of views. Most of you probably saw when this all happened. They mentioned that it was something they had kept as hidden as possible to give them some time, but they were ready to share the news with others. The video in itself was presented maturely and very emotional, and they wanted to share it because eventually, they knew people would become suspicious. This shows us how privacy has changed, moments that used to be more private such as their breakup was viewed by over a million people!

The Bold Ones…

Looking at our own posts via whichever social media app is your fave, many of us add our locations to photos, that way we’re sharing picture-worthy places with each other. It does leak some of our privacy with where we are at a moment in time. Some may be more revealing with their posts in a sense of “petty-posting.” We all have had beef with someone at some point, and I’m sure we can all relate to the thought of at least posting something petty about them. Most of us don’t but then there are…the bold ones. They spill the entire can of beans and leak the entire situation online so that everyone knows what’s going down. 

Apps upclose on a phone
Pixabay / Pexels

• facebook
  • instagram
  • privacy
  • Snapchat
  • social media
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • Chelsea Velez is a senior majoring in journalism and double-minoring in creative writing & sociology. She spends most of her time writing, drinking coffee, and running around finding the latest story. She plans to become a well-known writer in whatever form that may be and inspire others through her content creation.
    UCF Contributor