The Oscars: Best and Worst Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There was a lot to love last night at the 85th Academy Awards: We saw William Shatner briefly reprise his role of Captain Kirk, Jennifer Lawerence basically fall on her face while accepting her award, and apparently I have to go out and see Argo now because it won best freakin’ picture. But, honestly, all of my favorite highlights came before the show even started, when I watched as some of the world’s most famous celebs walked the red carpet in their beautiful ball gowns or horrific disasters. Here is the list all of you stylish collegiettes have been waiting for…the best and worst dressed at the 2013 Oscars:

Best: All black and white, everything! Zoe Saldana and Kelly Rowland both looked graceful in the most classic and beloved color combination in fashion. Saldana’s Alexis Mable couture gown had this ombre-layered bottom that looked like a dream and Rowland wore Donna Karen with a sexy thigh slit and an abstract, architectural bodice.

Best: Glittery goddesses ruled the night! Halle Berry showed up in a futuristic, Cleopatra-like dress that definitely grabbed some attention. Known for frequently wearing Versace to events like this, she kept up the trend by showing off the designer’s genius once again. The dress fits her like a glove and accentuates her curvature. Naomi Watts also looks stunning in her cut-out, metallic number by Armani Prive.

Worst: As much as I go goo-goo gah-gah for Anne Hathaway, the actress really dropped the bomb of this one. Both her and Renee Zellweger chose dress colors that really wash them out and structures that don’t do much for the natural curves of their body. Renee was a mess from her hair to her shoes. She wore a Carolina Herrera dress that just made her figure look like that of a male athlete. Wearing Prada, Hathaway’s dress looked like an awkward and uncomfortable piece from the ’90s. The high, boxy neckline was completely unflattering and let’s not fail to mention that her nipples were exposed the whole time! TMZ.com has already coined the phrase “Les Nipplerables.”

Best: Wearing neutral tones is not always a bad thing, though! Jessica Chastain wore a nude, Giorgio Armani gown with copper embellishments that made her shine on the red carpet! With the soft waves in her hair and red lips, this look really came together nicely. Amanda Seyfried wore Alexander McQueen (an Iconic fave!) and looked gorgeous with the high neckline and glittery adornments. In the light you’d think the dress was off white or pale silver, but look closely and you’ll see that it’s the lightest shade of lavender.

Worst: Melissa McCarthy and Jennifer Hudson made two major flops of the night. They both just ended up looking kind of cheap. McCarthy committed one of the only obvious wrong acts one can do on the red carpet: She wore grey. The David Meister dress came in what I think is the worst color to wear to an award show, or anywhere, actually! Commentators have said, “She looks like she got her dress at Macy’s.” Ouch. Hudson’s dress and way-too-long locks gave me an under-the-sea vibe, and those shoes? Sorry Jen, but they’re too “senior prom” for this award show.

Worst: Brandi Glanville showed up looking… um…quite busty. Her dress was a terrible tan color, completely overexposed her, and is that sheepskin at the bottom of her dress? It was a completely inappropriate look for the Oscars. Kerry Washington also made the mistake of looking like she was going to her prom. Her waistline was too high, the bodice was too cheaply sparkled, and the overall shape of the dress just screamed, “I found this at Nordstrom’s rack for half off!”

Best: And the award for most fashionable couple goes to…Oh my…We have a tie! Jamie Foxx showed up the Oscars with his 19-year-old daughter on his arm. She looked adorable in a navy blue dress and Foxx was looking super slick in his chrome and black suit. He spiced things up with his sparkling bowtie and shiny, black shoes. Then, Daniel Day Lewis came out rocking a classically smooth, navy and black suit. His wife was by his side looking graceful in a black, lacy gown.

Worst Dressed of the Night: I thought that kilts would be an obvious no-no at the Oscars, yet Mike Andrews and Ronald McFarlane both showed up in these ridiculous, Scottish outfits. They were the highlight of the red carpet…and not in a good way. Kristen Stewart looked disheveled, pastey, and awkward walking down the red carpet on crutches. To put it harshly, she looked like she had just puked in the bathroom, found this tattered dress on the side of the road, and decided to wear it to the Oscars. Reema Acra makes some beautifully elegant dresses, but Stewart ruined this one for me at the Oscars.

Best Dressed of the Night: These two ladies were flawless on the red carpet! Big and full princess gowns were so in this year. So what Jennifer Lawrence tripped up the stairs while accepting her award? All anyone should care about is how well she flaunted that Dior Haute couture gown! When you go to a show as prestigious as this, you NEED something show stopping, and this ensemble made the actress look regal in all the right ways. Fan favorite Jennifer Aniston also turned heads in her Salvatore Ferragamo gown. The dress was the perfect shade of red to still stand out on the red carpet and her simple hair and makeup really made this classic look work well. Magnificent choices, ladies!

UCF Contributor