An Open Letter to Those Tired of Hearing Complaints About Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Many question those who are upset about the results of the recent election. Many wonder why people can’t just “get over it.” They ask “Why can’t everyone just accept it and move on?”  Here’s why…

Inevitably, I accept the fact that Donald Trump is now the president. What’s done is done, Que sera, sera- All that good stuff. However, I do not accept the hateful and ignorant behavior portrayed by the newly elected president. Many tend to confuse people’s opposition to Donald Trump as president with opposition to Donald Trump as a person. Let’s be clear, I’m sure he’s a very smart man who is capable of executing great ideas, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is fit to lead the free world.

There are very few people I would like to accept as the nation’s commander in chief–the most powerful man in the world, and Donald Trump isn’t on the list. Trump openly behaves in hateful manners; he acts recklessly with little regards to who he may offend. He is impulsive to speak and seems to lack basic communication skills. This alone could make him unacceptable for the position he’s been given.

Unlike some, I do not actually believe that Donald Trump is an intentionally hateful person, despite his portrayal. When all the noise dies down, at the end of the day, Donald Trump is a father, grandfather, and husband. He’s loyal to his family. The love and loyalty he shows them are respectable. Through respect comes acceptance. Through respect comes trust. The problem Trump has is that his disrespectful actions and behaviors outnumber and outshine his respectful instances. Thus destroying any credibility, respect, and trust he has earned. Even though no one is perfect, Trump’s behavior is just disappointing. The Presidential position holds you to higher standards of empathy and morality. Donald Trump hasn’t yet shown that he can meet those standards. 

As the President, you should be knowledgeable and worldly. You should be able to reach out to all your constituents of any background and make them feel listened to and protected. Donald Trump communicates in ways that are hasty, ignorant, and perceived as prejudice. In fairness, the media isn’t as innocent as they seem and a few of Donald Trump’s remarks have been taken out of context. But, it’s the blatant insensitivity, and ignorance Trump himself has shown leading me to believe he isn’t knowledgeable enough about the people in our nation to know how to effectively run our country. An effective leader knows how to communicate in ways that are difficult to be taken out of context. Ways that reaches out and touches all, ways that make a positive impact. Donald Trump lacking these skills make me feel uneasy and that we as a nation are not in good hands. 

To the many people who question those who are still upset about the election results. I agree with you that it may be time to move on, but you cannot rush acceptance. It’s a process. Inevitably, I accept the fact that Donald Trump is now our president, even though I do not accept his past behaviors. I hope within the next four years,  President Donald Trump takes his responsibility seriously, and make efforts to better communicate with the nation as a whole. President Donald Trump now has the one job where money simply can not save you. It’s time for him to show us why he deserves to sit in the Oval Office. Until that day comes, I will unfortunately always feel upset with the results of the last election.

Photo credit: 1, 2

Cescely is studying Health Service Administration at the University of Central Florida. She aims to make a difference by personally reducing hospital errors. Cescely has a knack for politics, popular culture, sexual equality, and nutrition. Some of Cescely's favorite things include the month of December, writing poetry, and feel good music.
UCF Contributor