This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Dear Christopher,

I am one of many people who has listened to your music for the past decade or so. I have enjoyed listening and dancing to the music that you have loved creating. It has also been a pleasure to see you grow as a performer. I must say, however, that I have been very disappointed with your personal growth, especially as of lately. I’m not about to remind you of 2009. You and I both know that you have garnered the reputation of a bad boy, which has not always been great for musical careers. I am in no way trying to bash you for this reputation, nor am I attempting to tell you how to live your life or move through your career. I have no business in doing any of that. I would just like to remind you that you have a plethora of fans who look up to you. They admire your musical and dance abilities, and it would be a shame to see you lose them because you like to act like a jerk.

Very recently, you tweeted your opinion on the very public incident that involved Kehlani, Kyrie Irving, and PartyNextDoor. Personally, I don’t think you should have said anything; it literally did not involve you in any way, and thus, your thoughts were pretty much irrelevant. But, hey, this is the Internet, where everyone decides to have opinions.

It was really saddening to see your tweets, Christopher. Completely disregarding your heavily publicized break-up with Rihanna, you have been up and down with all the relationships you have with women. I’m still trying to understand how you go from screaming “Karrueche!” on your Back to Sleep Remix, to bashing her on Instagram. Something doesn’t add up here; you can’t claim to love someone and want them back, then turn around and attack their career endeavors. We all saw it, Chris. It’s carrying over to how you speak about women in general. So not cool.

In terms of your opinion of Kehlani, I truly feel that it was not your place to speak at all, and I’m not the only one. I understand that Instagram, and the Internet as a whole, is a very public space, but for you to attack her and criticize her vulnerability and willingness to be a real person to her fans was way out of line. You are in absolutely no position to attack or judge anyone, especially a woman, for the decisions she may or may not make. It took you a very long time to completely move past the events of 2009, and you did not use your personal experience as a platform to open up a dialogue on domestic violence. I’m not saying that you should have; you’re free to do almost whatever the heck you like. But do not trash anyone for bringing attention and further awareness to a discussion that is still highly disregarded.

Honestly, Christopher, a lot of your recent actions have been tasteless. I’m pretty sure a lot of your fans are caught between a rock and hard place right now. How are they supposed to feel when you’re showing the world how much of a problematic jerk you are? I want you to think about some things, Chris. You have a young daughter, Royalty. I want you to think about what kind of love you are showing her. Do you want her to grow up seeing the way you disrespect women who are vulnerable, who feel they do not need to hide their struggles, who feel they can help others through their own experiences? What are you going to do if she goes through life feeling as if she has to be strong and put on an act? It is not up to you to decide what anyone should post on their personal Instagram accounts.

On a similar note, please just stop using any of your socal media to bash women. Who the heck do you think you are to call any female in the music and entertainment industry “talentless?” When Zendaya, Tinashe, Dinah and Normani unfollowed you because of what you were saying, you decided to get upset, and called them “little girls.” We saw the posts before you deleted them. Get over yourself. Zendaya, Tinashe and Fifth Harmony have all worked very hard to get where they are now, and they probably will last longer than you if you keep this attitude up. Plus, how do you talk badly about someone you just did a feature with? It had to take a lot from Zendaya to unfollow you because of your recent collaboration, but she also knows not to support those who don’t deserve it.

If Kehlani wants to expose her struggle in an open dialogue, let her do that. I don’t recall you having a problem with any male artists who were caught cheating, yourself, Future, and Usher all included. If that’s the issue you have right now, get over yourself and your double standards. If your issue is that Kehlani attempted suicide, it is not your place to bash her for letting the world take a toll on her. These issues are real, and your opinion, as unnecessary as it was, did not impact the importance of them. Please think about these the next time you ever want to comment on absolutely anything that has nothing to do with Team Breezy. And please, don’t get so upset about this letter that you feel the need to post it on your Instagram. You don’t have to bash me for telling the truth.

Photo credit: 1, 2

Darin Kela is a junior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring Advertising & Public Relations and has a minor in Dance. She is a huge fan of Zendaya, and is obsessed with natural hair. She enjoys listening to R&B music and silently choreographing to every song that plays through her earphones. When she's not in class or hanging out with RUKUS Entertainment on campus, you can catch her re-watching A Different World on Netflix or her favorite beauty tutorials on Youtube. Follow Darin's journey on Instagram & Twitter.
UCF Contributor