photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Next Stop, Riverdale! Your New TV Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Riverdale premiered almost a month ago and I admit I did not watch the first two episodes. The promos never really interested me and I already had a list of shows I was already hooked on. They preoccupied my very little free time. Somehow the curiosity got to me (Cole Sprouse being the main reason) and I had to download the CW app to watch and give it a chance.

The show is based on the characters by Archie Comics, but it isn’t the traditional happy world that the comics portray. It is set in a town called Riverdale that was picture perfect until the death of golden boy Jason Blossom over the summer before sophomore year. Archie, the rest of his friends, and the whole town are affected and everyone’s intentions are questioned. There are some great plot twists and it genuinely is a smart show that will leave you thinking and theorizing. I can say that it gives us some Pretty Little Liars, Twin Peaks, and Gossip Girl feels. If you need more reasons to watch this amazing show, here they are:

1. Cole Sprouse returns to acting playing Jughead Jones who is quite an outsider and very sarcastic.

2. Even though Archie (KJ Apa) and Jughead do not really start on a good foot in the beginning of the series for some unknown reason you can’t help but want them to be best friends again. Their bromance speaks in volumes.

3. There is a Blair and Serena parallel between Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Veronica (Camila Mendes) and I am living for it. The CW knew we were missing the dynamic duo and they brought us the Blair and Serena friendship 2.0.

4. The show features some awesome music thanks to Josie (Ashleigh Murray) and the Pussycats, a band in the show. Archie is also trying to pursue music, so down the road there might be an epic battle of the bands.

5. Barb is back and gets the justice that she deserved! Okay, so she isn’t really Barb in the show. Her name is Ethel (Shannon Purser) in the show and the episode she is on gives us some major Stranger Things parallels.

Riverdale airs on the CW on Thursdays at 9pm. Make sure you catch up right away because things are going to get crazy really fast in the upcoming episodes.

Photo credit: Cover PhotoPhoto 1 courtesy of The CW, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5 courtesy of The CW

Melanie Ararat is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She is the Marketing and Publicity co-director for Her Campus UCF. She is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. Writing has always been her passion since she could literally pick up a pencil (they were just scribbles, but it still counts). You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @melanie_ararat where she posts things that make it seem like she has a life outside of writing and binge watching shows on Netflix.
UCF Contributor