The “New Normal”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This week, I found Emily Richardson on her way to class at the UCF Rosen Campus, pulling off this laidback look and dripping in mixed denim pieces. Just because a groundhog told us we’re having an early spring this year, doesn’t mean the weather agrees! The past few weeks we’ve been experiencing some chilly weather and it’s not going to get warmer anytime soon, so throw on your favorite pair of jeans. Give your outfit a little twist by mixing different shades or styles of denim together, find some crazy, ornate or acid-washed denim. Philip Lim and House of Holland featured contrasted denim and patterned jeans. Studio PR director Helen Krodel says that a classic look for spring would be “wearing jewelry to dress up jeans and a tee.”

This “new normal,” American West trend set is simple but elegant, as you can see from what Emily is wearing here. The old school jean jacket she has on can be purchased at Americanapparel.net/usshop; it’s a unisex jacket that comes in multiple washes. Also, look out for “peplum” bottoms this spring! The trend exploded in stores like Forever 21 and H&M, and it only seems to be getting more and more popular. A peplum is a short flared or pleated strip of fabric at the waistline of a dress or shirt. Some other traditional touches would be how her nail polish matches her lipstick; her belt matches her jeans… It’s not too matchy-matchy, but it makes her whole look very cohesive and balanced. Play around with different colors and patterns, see what you can come up with. I recommend checking out Levi’s new Spring 2013 jean collection; they have a bunch of bright, seasonal colored jeans and they’re super affordable for us college kids!

UCF Contributor