Life > Experiences

Navigating the College Experience as an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Going to college is commonly portrayed to us as this fast-paced and vibrant time you’ll forever cherish, the supposed best four years of our lives that we’ll ever know. Even more than that, it marks the chance to break out of our comfort zone and experience our first real taste of freedom as adults we’ve envisioned. For some, this may sound like a fantastic time to sit back and enjoy the ride, but for introverts like me, the experience is as daunting and unfamiliar as they come.

As an introvert, I’ve never been the loudest person in the room and consistently prefer to keep to myself, especially in new environments like the huge campus and buzz of people presented in front of me. I’ve always struggled with breaking out of my shell and allowing myself to open up to new people and new environments without freezing like a deer in headlights. I found myself caught in this cycle of comparison over what others were doing instead.

As much as I enjoy solitude and my presence, this past year and a half of college made me wish I had accepted my introversion sooner. Slowly, I’ve recognized that being an introvert allows me to make the best of my college experience. Regardless of whether my college experience may look different than someone else’s, what matters is being content and comfortable with how I am living out these four years.

Here are some suggestions that have allowed me to show up yet prioritize being intentional while pursuing my interests and listening to my mind and body.

Being intentional with my time and energy has made a world of difference for my peace of mind and health. Looking back at when I would place my worries on participating in as much as humanly possible and overextend my capabilities, what would sustain me is knowing the time I would have to myself when my day came to a close. I try to be honest with my expectations of myself. I aim to be receptive when taking in, carefully considering what’s around me within classes, extracurriculars, developing job experience while listening to myself. I’m not perfect. But one day at a time, I’m putting this into practice and witnessing the clarity and peace of mind it provides me.

Remembering the “traditional” college experience does not have to be my own if it doesn’t fulfill me. When facing my internal monologue of whether I’m supposed to be partying or going out, it took time to be honest with myself and realize it’s not what fueled me. Instead, what left me gratified was the validation of succeeding in my classes and priding myself in the work I was putting in. It wasn’t long before I saw how setting forth boundaries prioritizing selfcare and slowing down the rest around me. This could mean a quiet evening, reading or painting as incorporating these times become my sense of joy.

Hopefully, throughout these next few years of college, I continue to accept that being an introvert is not a weakness and learn that I can thrive in this environment as well. I want to look back at these four years, knowing I accepted myself and didn’t apologize for putting myself first. College may not be the best four years of my life, but I’m determined to make it the four years that I embrace discovering the very foundation of who I am.

Brianna is the Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCF! She is studying English Literature and Political Science at the University of Central Florida. Brianna is a writer and creative focused on creating content and publications that promote empowerment among college individuals. She's a lover of Disney, reading a somewhat excessive number of books a year, any form of art expression, & the oxford comma.