Career

Nationwide Knight Power: Meet Alexis Martin, Campus Correspondent at HC Rutgers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s no secret that as UCF students, we’re all proud to be members of Knight Nation. But did you know that across the country there’s another university with their own brand of Knight Power? The Scarlet Knight is the mascot of Rutgers University, so our Her Campus chapters teamed up to celebrate Knight Week! All week long, we’ve been sharing articles and posting on social media about what being a Knight means to us. I was thrilled to interview Alexis Martin, a boss blogger babe who happens to be one of the Campus Correspondents at HC Rutgers, about her journey as a Knight:

Major: Criminal Justice

Minor: Sociology

Why did you decide to attend Rutgers University?

When I was applying for colleges, I originally overlooked Rutgers University, in part because it was a school that was literally in my backyard with such close proximity to my house: 35 minutes away. I made up my mind and decided I wanted to go to a college that was out of state.  

So, freshman year of college I attended La Salle University in Philadelphia, PA. It was a small campus which meant there was also a very limited number of opportunities. I found myself not liking it more and more each day. I had two options: to make it work or find a college that would make me happy and that I loved. I started the college search all over again during winter break; something I thought I’d never have to do again. One of the schools I applied to was Rutgers University, which was surprising not only to myself but to my friends and family as I had been really set on never attending this university. I started to realize through researching that this was the best school in New Jersey, my family went here, and it also seemed to be a good fit for me! So I applied and then eventually got in and have been here ever since!

How did you become involved with Her Campus?

I read a lot of national Her Campus articles while in high school. Many of the articles helped me get through some really tough times and I knew I loved the brand then. I wanted to be a part of it in some way. At La Salle University at the time there wasn’t an HC chapter and I didn’t know how to create one. Yet, when I came to Rutgers U I saw we had a chapter and I immediately joined. Fast forward and I became the marketing & publicity director my junior year and now I’m one of the Campus Correspondents as a senior!

What is your favorite article that you’ve written for HC Rutgers?

My favorite article for HC Rutgers would have to be “Mold University” because it was raw and uncut. It really highlighted the problems with some of our housing conditions on campus. Yet, it also made me realize that there was so many of us going through the same thing. The article really pushed for change within the Rutgers community and it was really awesome being the face of that change.

What’s your favorite Her Campus memory?

My favorite HC memory would have to be Her Conference in 2017. It was the first time I felt that I could do anything in the world and that I was truly unstoppable. It pushed me to be the best version of myself and to work really hard on my blogging dreams.

As far as my favorite HC Rutgers memory, it would have to be the back to school mixer we hosted this past fall semester. There were so many young women who came out to support our event, loved it, and it was just a great time. We partnered up with some amazing brands like Color Club, KIND, Bloom Planners and more!

How did you get involved in blogging, and what’s your favorite part of running a blog?

When I first came to Rutgers University I didn’t have many friends, so I found myself spending a great deal of time with my roommate or in our room. I knew that I loved writing and I wanted to channel that into something.

My roommate actually encouraged me to start a blog, so I did. I based my blog off owls because I loved them so much. I loved branding Alexis Hoots and creating the tag line of “love hoo you are,” which I designed to help encourage young girls and women to make self-love a priority in their lives and to always go after their passions and dreams despite the odds. It’s been three years of me blogging and I’ve loved every second of it. I think my favorite part of blogging is connecting with brands, being a part of the InfluenceHer Collective, and networking with other bloggers. It’s amazing to think we all have the same passion but the ways in which we go about blogging are all different and creative.

At the top of the year, I launched Alexis Hoots TV, and I’m super excited to expand my brand and what’s to come with that.

What does being a Knight mean to you?

Being a Knight to me is all about strength, resilience, and just being extremely powerful. It’s knowing that all things are possible through you and you have the power to determine your own fate.

Be sure to follow Alexis on her blog and Instagram, and keep up with HC Rutgers on their Instagram. From one Knight Nation to another: go Knights, charge on! (Or, as they say at Rutgers: R-U! Rah, rah!)

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!