National Novel Writing Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, is an initiative to get people to start, finish, or continue, a novel. NaNoWriMo is a website where you dedicate yourself to writing 50,000 words in the month of November. You fill out a profile on their website, write like crazy, select a home region for updates on local events, and earn badges for completing milestones! NaNoWriMo has tons of great advice, inspiration, and ideas from published authors like John Green and Neil Gaiman to get your creative juices flowing and, most importantly, keep you writing.

NaNoWriMo isn’t just for novels, either. Working on a paper that’s been giving you trouble, or trying to draft a proposal? Camp NaNoWriMo is a virtual retreat with the same support offered on the main site. The best part is, you can set your word count and goal yourself!

If you meet your goal, you can win goodies from sponsors like Scrivener and Storyist.

According to their website, NaNoWriMo was created “to empower and encourage writing and vibrant creativity around the world” through programs like the Come Write In program that “provides free resources to libraries,” the Young Writers Program that “[provides] free classroom kits, writing workbooks, Common Core-aligned curricula, and virtual class management tools” to teachers around the world to encourage a love of writing and literacy.

National Novel Writing Month’s ultimate goal is to get people inspired and active in their writing lives, and show people that they’re capable of reaching lofty goals.

NaNoWriMo runs totally on donations by the general public through its store and by sponsors.

Start writing today!

Photo credit;

http://nanowrimo.org/press

Audi is a grad student pursuing am MFA in Poetry and Nonfiction. When not writing, she can be found watching terrible action movies, playing video games, or liking memes on Twitter.
UCF Contributor