This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Now that February has begun, the need to find a good romance film has increased. I used to, and still do, scroll through tons of articles trying to discover more romance films to watch. I’ve made it a goal of mine to watch as many romance films as I possibly can. However, most articles list the same movies that most people already know, such as The Notebook and Notting Hill. While these are spectacular films, I read those articles in hopes of finding films that most people haven’t heard of. Because of this, I decided to create an article featuring several incredible romance films that, hopefully, you’ve never heard of but will soon adore:

LITTLE MANHATTAN (2005)

I watched this film when I was little and loved it, but I didn’t remember much else about it, so for a while I thought that maybe I’d made the movie up. When I found it recently on Hulu, I knew I had to rewatch it, and it’s definitely worth watching. The movie gives us young Josh Hutcherson playing Gabe, a ten-year-old who is falling in love for the first time. This rom-com is unique because it showcases young love in such a pure manner and provides us with Gabe’s perspective throughout as we hear his thoughts through the narration. The love story unfolds while Gabe’s parents are going through a divorce, which is a great plot contrast, since it conveys love simultaneously blossoming for Gabe as well as decaying for his parents. I love that it showcases the innocence of first love, along with the jealousy and lack of communication that accompanies the uncommon and confusing feelings that inevitably result from a ten-year-old falling in love. This film deserves to be at the top of every recommended romance film list.

HE’S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU (2009)

I have re-watched this film SO many times, as it’s one of the best films the romance genre offers. First off, it’s one of many films that has a STACKED cast list with intersecting storylines. The film has Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Connelly, Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Justin Long, and Ginnifer Goodwin, among other names like Drew Barrymore and Scarlett Johansson. There are roughly six main couples that arise throughout the film. As all the characters interact, different couples are created. The movie ultimately addresses various ways in which a guy showcases that “he’s just not that into you,” but it goes even further by giving each character a distinct journey with how they navigate love in their lives. It leaves the viewer realizing that at the end of the day, love is different for everyone. As much as you may want to ask people for advice about our relationships, it’s ultimately up to you to discover if he’s really into you.

the best of me (2014)

Watching this film will leave you sobbing; it’s such an amazing film. The Best of Me is an adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name, which already tells you that it’s going to be a heart wrenching, gut-punching and beautiful depiction of both young love and a later, matured love. It reminded me of The Notebook because the film showcases the couple meeting in high school, having time apart and rekindling their romance later in life. James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan play adult Dawson and Amanda, while Luke Bracey and Liana Liberato play their younger counterparts. All characters convey chemistry that can be felt through the screen. This film allows you to realize what an enormous effect love can have on your life, and will have you glued to the screen as you watch the relationship develop between Dawson and Amanda.

prom (2011)

This is a film that I have forced my sister to watch numerous times, but most people have never heard of it. Back in the 2010s, I remember wanting to watch this film and never being able to, as it was advertised heavily on Disney Channel. It’s another film that contains intersecting stories as different characters try to find a prom date with some couples navigating what prom means for their relationships. My favorite couple is the embodiment of the enemies-to-lovers and from-two-different-worlds tropes that captivate me every single time. Overall, the film can be described as coming-of-age, and it conveys the various relationships that develop in high school. The impending prom adds a whole new layer of stress to the equation that elicits heartbreaks, unexpected romances, and desperation from each of the characters, which is so entertaining to watch.

Walt Disney Studios
The sweetest thing (2002)

Although the central romance is what propels the main plot of the film, this film is through and through a testament to the fact that the best relationships are the ones with the best girlfriends. Cameron Diaz plays Christina who is conveyed as a “player” but falls for a guy she met at a club, which leads her to set out on a journey to find him through attending what she thinks is his brother’s wedding. She sets out on this quest with one of her best friends, Courtney (Christina Applegate), while their friend Jane (Selma Blair) develops a relationship with a man she met at the same club after ending a year-long relationship. This movie has tons of twists and turns, making it a must watch for Galentine’s Day, or any day really. It showcases that no one knows you better than your best friends and anything can be made more fun when you’re with your besties.

Sony Pictures Entertainment
say anything (1989)

This film should be known as well as The Notebook, but even when speaking to my friends who love romance films, no one seems to have watched this film. This film shows the iconic boombox on top of the head outside of a girl’s window scene comes from. It showcases the romance that blossoms between an unlikely couple as Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) pursues Diane Court (Ione Skye). Their love story, like all the films previously described, encounters various difficulties, but it ultimately showcases such a pure and interesting romantic storyline that will leave your heart feeling full.

A few honorable mentions that weren’t listed are Made of Honor, The Wedding Date and Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! These are all spectacular rom-coms that are worth being placed on your watchlist. As we enter the season of love, one of the best ways to embrace it is through watching films that showcase love in a myriad of ways and make you question what love truly means.

Anyelina Izzo is a senior at UCF and majoring in political science. She enjoys obsessing over romantic comedies, reading, and listening to The Strokes, Cage the Elephant, and all of the High School Musical soundtracks.