This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Spooky season has crept up on us sooner than we thought, and that means that those scary books are finally piled back up on the coffee table, the fancy ghost socks are going to be worn all month longand Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween will be playing all night, every night! I think we can all agree that we love a good scare during these 31 nights, but trying to find a good Halloween movie by reading those descriptions can sometimes be scarier than watching A Nightmare on Elm Street. Here are the top five best movies to watch during October!

The Conjuring

With an 85% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, this movie was based on a true story and is by far some scream-worthy content. Taking us back in time to 1971, the movie follows a family who moved into their new home to begin a new life. Unfortunately, they weren’t aware of what happened in the house just a decade before.

It

Clowns are some of the scariest characters to see in a horror film. This movie, rated 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, is guaranteed to keep you on your toes! In the summer of 1989, a group of outcast kids encounter horrifying experiences that no one can ever imagine. The main character is an ancient, shape-shifting evil spirit that comes out every 27 years as a clown. His goal is to expose all of your personal fears and literally eat your face off. Not only is he a clown, but you’ll be his only meal!

Haunting of Hill House

If you want that spooky feeling throughout an entire seriesthis is the show to watch during the 31 Nights of Halloween! With a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it’s one of the most-watched (and creepiest shows) that aired on Netflix in 2018. I can guarantee this show will make you sleep with the lights ON. Haunting of Hill House is based around a family who grew up in an old, abandoned country home, filled with secrets from the past (typical). While the children experienced traumatic encounters with bad spirits throughout their time in the house, their parents couldn’t stay sane. Now, as adults, they are forced to go back and face all of the bad memories that they’ve tried to erase throughout their years—but what was so bad about it if they were able to escape?   

The Cabin in the Woods

Want a good college scare? The Cabin in the Woods will fill that void! Rated as a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, it’s about five college students who go on vacation to a remote cabin, where they think they’re going to have a great, isolated getaway. Little do they know, the cabin is filled with traps and surrounded by cameras, and there is an HQ where two scientists are in charge of torturing these five kids until they are dead. But why?

Sounds like a horrifying Hunger Games, doesn’t it?

“It doesn’t even show up on the GPS.” GIRL, LEAVE!

Get Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1YpntE840

Honestly, the title says it all! Rated a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, this is a must-see Halloween movie. A girl brings home her new boyfriend Chris for the first time during a family weekend, and right from the start, he notices how overly comforting they are—but he just assumes it’s because of nerves. As the movie goes on, you begin to see that all of the family’s helpers are hypnotized and fully brainwashed. Chris realized he was next, and it was time to get the heck out!

Halloween is one of the most exciting holidays of the year, so make sure to fully overdo it, no matter what anyone says. Also, don’t forget to wear the scariest (or hottest!) costume that you can find!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Yeniz is a junior studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Central Florida. Creating a better future through engineering has always been a dream for her, but when she isn't in the library studying for her exams, you can always find her blogging. She loves to discover new fashion trends and traveling through her bucket list. She has always loved fashion and makeup and hopes that her blogging one day can turn into something more than a hobby. If you want to keep up with her feel free to follow her on Instagram or her fashion blog: endlessshine.org!
UCF Contributor