My Personal ‘Red (Taylor’s Version)’ Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In honor of the release of Red (Taylor’s Version), I will be ranking it with some explanations! Small disclaimer: I will not be ranking “Ronan (Taylor’s Version)” to respect not only the family, but Ronan himself. Without further ado, let’s rank Red (Taylor’s Version)!

Flower Tile
Big Machine / Dead Oceans / Canva
“Starlight (Taylor’s Version)”

I’ve been anticipating this song since the announcement that Red was being re-recorded. Little 11-year-old me ate this song up. This song was inspired by the Kennedys and was written about a fun night in the ’40s.

“Forever Winter (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)”

I really think this song defines what this album does in terms of emotion. The subject of the song is heavy and deals with mental health in a really serious way. But the song is so upbeat and catchy!

“Nothing New (ft. Phoebe Bridgers) (Taylor’s version) (From the Vault)”

Phoebe + Taylor is a collab we didn’t know we needed until now. People don’t think they are that special or could bring anything new to the table. Especially after “All Too Well,” you can see where these feelings stem from.

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (from The Vault)

The song any and every Swiftie anticipated! And here it is, in all of its amazing, heart-breaking glory. The lyrics are that much more gut-wrenching when it’s 10 minutes. This song was everything and more.

“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)”

Compared to her original recording of the song, she’s matured and acknowledges the pain and heartbreak from this relationship and what an impact it still has. There’s no doubt that this song demonstrates how amazing of a lyricist Taylor is.

“Begin Again (Taylor’s Version)”

This song is underrated, honestly. It’s not a heartbreaking song, but it reminds me of what “Clean” was on 1989. It’s very refreshing and it’s a new start to a relationship.

“The Moment I Knew (Taylor’s Version)”

What an amazing song to scream in the car when you’re angry. This song really encapsulates how you can pinpoint exactly when you know the relationship isn’t something worth fighting for anymore, and you can’t change that.

“Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)”

A song about knowing that a relationship is hard, or even bad for you but still pursuing it is a great message for this album, and the bridge is one of the best on the album.

“Girl At Home (Taylor’s Version)”

I was a “Girl At Home” stan on the original Red when everyone collectively decided to not like it. I did not like this version when I first heard it. However, I then realized this song is a pop banger and deserves all the love it’s getting.

“Come Back… Be Here (Taylor’s Version)”

Long-distance relationships are always hard, and this song reflects that wanting to be with someone all the time. It’s also someone wanting to come back to a relationship and they just can’t because of emotional distance.

“Run (Ft. Ed Sheeran) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)”

This gives me Romeo and Juliet vibes since the two lovers in the song just want to run away together and be with one another with no worries from the world.

“The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Having a song about reminiscing about a good first night of a relationship in contrast to her remembering the painful memories is an amazing song to have on this album.

“22 (Taylor’s Version)”

This song really means that much more after hearing “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault).” Being a super fun, party song is celebrating a brand new year away from the heartbreak that was 21.

“State of Grace (Taylor’s Version)”

This includes the acoustic version as well. This song is a really great opening song for Red (Taylor’s Version). It not only establishes the tone of the album with a calm, country song with pop undertones, but it’s still energetic.

“Everything Has Changed (Ft. Ed Sheeran) (taylor’s Version)”

For this song and the nine songs that follow, I didn’t know how to rank at this point. I still liked them, but they don’t compare for me to the rest, so there’s not much to say about them.

“Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version)”
“Red (Taylor’s Version)”
“I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor’s Version)”
“I Almost Do (Taylor’s Version)”
“The last Time (Ft. Gary Lightbody) (Taylor’s Version)
“Better Man (Taylor’S Version) (From The Vault)”
“Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor’s Version)”
“The Lucky ONe (Taylor’s Version)”
“Babe (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”
“Stay stay Stay (Taylor’s Version)”

I feel like this song is slightly out of place on this album, but that doesn’t change that it’s good and cheery. It does remind me of Christmas a bit too.

“Message in a Bottle (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

This song is cute, just doesn’t do it for me.

“I Bet You Think About Me (Ft. Chris Stapleton) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

This song walks a fine line between too country for me to dislike it, but still being a banger. I think it needs to grow on me. I do like the line about the cool indie concerts.

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)”

Something had to be in last place. This is really the only song on the album that I did not like the changes to. I don’t think I can get over how the “we” in the song was sung. I’m a little disappointed with how she changed it.

And, there you have it! All of Red (Taylor’s Version), ranked. Be sure to stream the latest addition to the “owned by Taylor Swift” club anywhere you stream music.

Hi! My name is Taylor, and I love all things nerdy! I like to focus on a multitude of different things when it comes to writing, but I usually relate it to pop culture or my own interests!