My Open Letter to Gina Rodriguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The EPTIOME of a TRUE LATINA

Dear Gina Rodriguez,

I see this woman on TV where she plays a hilarious pregnant virgin. She has the same ethnicity as me, she’s athletic like me, and most importantly, she has a voice, just like me. It seemed too good to be true; finally seeing a Latina playing a lead character that is witty, without being over the top, and beautiful- without being too sexy for primetime TV. Gina Rodriguez you are my Latina twin.

I was crying of joy when you won the Emmy. Your speech is what made me feel like I can conquer any obstacle and any challenge with passion. In this day and age, we tend to be placed in a box that society wants us to be in, and that’s not even counting our ethnicity, and you changed that.

Thank you for changing the way people are viewing Latinas. We don’t need to be loud all the time to get our point across; we can just use our brains to deliver our messages. Like what you said on Instagram about #MovementMondays and the interviews you give about Latin society. We don’t need to play maids or housekeepers to demonstrate our work ethic, we can actually get an education to find dependable work. Like what you portray on Jane the Virgin; a young woman who has a child, but still is working towards becoming a romance novel writer while going to graduate school. We can also be athletic like you, boxing like how your father taught you, or dance salsa to enjoy the music and beats of Hector Lavoe or Tito Puente. The limitations are broken and the possibilities are endless.

What every young niña needs is a Latina like you, proving to all of us Latinas can be very different and range in various ways. Gina Rodriguez, you personify what it means to be the EPITOME of a Latina.

Salud!

Amanda Osorio

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7              

Hi my name is Amanda Osorio! I am a Junior at UCF, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Women's Studies! I love to read the True Blood series and eat Pei Wei's spicy Chicken Pad Thai while watching Game of Thrones, Scandal, Empire, Scrubs, American Horror Story and so much more! I call myself a nostalgic person since I should have been raised in the 1970's since I LOVE that era, from the fashion, movies, and music. My dreams will be complete with my purple flower record player and baby blue typewriter. A girl can dream with her eyes open <3 <3
UCF Contributor