My Not-So-Terrifying Experience Watching ‘IT: Chapter 2’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Most people have countdowns for their birthday, a concert that they’re going to, or vacation. As for me, I’ve had a countdown for IT: Chapter 2 since the morbid movie poster was announced online. I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next. Was anyone in the Losers’ Club going to die when Pennywise comes back? Is the movie going to follow what happens in the book? These questions bubbled in my brain for a couple of months and kept growing when that creepy first teaser trailer came out. It was as if I was sitting on the edge of my seat until I decided to go see it the night it came out.  

I wasn’t planning on watching the movie because after paying my car, gas and food, my budget wouldn’t allow it. Pennywise and the Losers’ Club would have to wait another day. But while I was working my hostess job at a restaurant, my manager gave me a 10 dollar tip from the night before because of the help I gave to the servers. As soon as the crisp bill was safely tucked away in my wallet, I knew where I would be going after work.  

Since I work a night job, I usually don’t leave until 9 or 10 p.m. It was a blessing in disguise because as soon as I entered the theater, there was no one there. I know, it seems weird for me to be happy about that, but having the entire room to yourself is heaven for an introvert.  

I eagerly sat down and waited patiently through the movie trailers, taking note of the ones that I wanted to see. After 15 minutes, the light dimmed, and the eerie soundtrack began playing.  

It was refreshing to see my favorite characters come back and be exactly as they were in the first movie. I laughed whenever Richie told a joke and almost held back a tear when Ben wanted to tell Beverly how much he loved her. Don’t get me wrong, there were also scenes where I crouched back in my seat from the fear and suspense of Pennywise. His voice is the stuff of nightmares.  

As the credits rolled, I was so happy about the way everything played out, especially Richie’s storyline. When you see the movie, you will know what I’m talking about. Unlike the terrified couple next to me, I practically left the theater with a smile on my face.  

The story of IT is one of my favorites. Not because of the brutality of Pennywise, obviously, but because of the friendships and characters of the Losers’ Club. I felt like I was experiencing the terror with Richie, Ben, Bill, Eddie, Beverly and Mike as they try to stop Pennywise again after 27 years.  

What started as a regular night working turned into spontaneously deciding to watch IT: Chapter 2 all alone. Even though I got home late and was exhausted the next day, it was entirely worth it.  

Media: 1, 2

Karla Grimes (and yes, like Rick Grimes from the Walking Dead) is a senior at the University of Central Florida. Her major is English-Creative Writing with a minor in Magazine Journalism! Besides reading and writing, Karla enjoys binge watching Criminal Minds and Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Also, if you mention Stranger Things in a conversation she will fangirl all her emotions for the show. Karla also enjoys traveling and listening to a wide range of music, from Green Day to the score in Pride and Prejudice. You can follow her on Instagram at ms.kpg, which has a many pictures of her dog, her friends, and the occasional birthday post for Harry Potter. 
UCF Contributor