This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’re reading this, I think it’s safe to say you can appreciate good writing when you see it. Chances are, your enjoyment for reading goes past just magazine articles, but to books as well. If that’s the case, here are some of my favorite young-adult fiction books that are must-reads if you are anything like me — someone who loves a good love story with an interesting plot that allows you to laugh, cry, feel happy, sad and every other emotion imaginable.

‘Eleanor & Park’ by Rainbow Rowell

Trigger warnings: Bullying, child/domestic abuse, alcohol addiction, fat-shaming, racism, transphobia, sexual abuse

This book follows two characters from totally different lives in different parts of the high school social hierarchy. Eleanor is the new girl who gets bullied for being overweight and wearing clothes that look like they’re from the men’s section of Goodwill. On the bus, she meets Park. Park is regular; he isn’t popular, but he’s friends with the popular people. Everyone knows and loves him, but he has his problems too. The story follows their development from enemies to friends to more, but also their at-home lives; Eleanor deals with financial issues as well as at-home abuse, while Park deals with the standards of his Asian parents to be the best at his sport and school as they disapprove of his choice of wearing makeup and expressing his true self. This story is not only touching but will make you smile and cry throughout, especially at the end! 

‘All the Bright Places’ by Jennifer Niven

Trigger warnings: attempted suicide, death, mental illness

Two high schoolers from different worlds meet in an upsetting way — both on the roof, ready to take their own life. Finch is a boy that’s misunderstood by everyone. He’s seen as a “freak” at school and is a loner, dealing with mental illness that can go from being manageable to extreme. Violet is the stereotypical popular cheerleader that always has a smile, but underneath is still dealing with the death of her sister. The two then pair up for a project where they have to explore their town, giving them time to get to know each other, figuring out their surprising similarities even when their differences cause issues. This book contains major plot twists and isn’t recommended if the trigger warnings are sensitive topics for you, or if you’re not ready to cry your eyes out. If you can though, read it! When reading Finch’s perspective, I found myself laughing out loud — which is an amazing sign from a book — and also found myself so in love over the things he says and shows in his own cool way of viewing the world. There’s also a movie on Netflix based on the book that is a must watch afterward!

‘Every Day’ by David Levithan 

Trigger warnings: attempted suicide (slightly mentioned for a chapter)

“A” isn’t a person, but more of a spirit. They wake up every day in someone else’s body, with the task of going through that person’s day without messing up their life or letting anyone get suspicious that something is up. One day, “A” wakes up in the body of a guy who has a girlfriend, someone who is more special than anyone “A” has ever come across. They spend the day together, and “A” realizes that they cannot forget about the girl, Rhiannon. “A” has to prove to her that they become someone else every day while falling in love with her. As you may have guessed, being in love with someone who is someone else every day is harder than it seems. The book follows their journeys and also depicts the struggles of the day-to-day people “A” becomes and the challenges they face. This book was one of the most interesting to me, as you read about so many different lives that “A” goes through. If you’re a fellow hopeless romantic, this book will be worth the read!

‘The Sun Is Also A Star’ by Nicola Yoon

This book is my absolute favorite. If you’re a hopeless romantic, stop reading this and go pick up this book ASAP. It follows two teens in New York City who are on the verge of starting new lives that they don’t want. Natasha is from Jamaica, but loves it in America. She moved at a young age so her father could pursue an acting career, but that didn’t work out. His aspiring dream causes her family to end up in financial troubles, and the book starts with them getting ready to move back to Jamaica after Natasha’s father gets them deported. She’s walking the streets of New York on her way to try and stop the deportation when she runs into Daniel. Daniel is on his way to his interview with Dartmouth, the college that his traditional Asian parents want him to go to, so he can become a doctor. This is exactly what Daniel doesn’t want — all he wants is to be a poet.

The two teens are the exact opposite; Daniel is a hopeless romantic who believes in fate, soulmates and love at first sight, whereas Natasha believes in science and not love. This difference causes them to make a bet; Daniel says that if they spend the day together he can make her fall in love with him, but Natasha’s pessimism and lack of belief in love shows through. We follow them through a day in the city, getting to know each other while dealing with their personal issues as well. Do they fall in love, or is love all a scheme like Natasha says? Does she stop the deportation, or does it end with her on a plane to Jamaica? Does Daniel follow his dreams or his parents’ dream for him? It’s a squeal-worthy book that will melt your heart but also anger you. And, good news! There’s a movie for this book as well on Hulu, but you better read it first!

‘What We Saw’ by Aaron Hartzler

Trigger warnings: rape

This is a book that made me angry all the way through, but I enjoyed it regardless. This trigger warning, though, should not be taken lightly, as the story revolves around Stacey, a girl who charges four basketball players with rape after pictures of her passed out with minimal clothes on circulates after a party. Ready to get angry? The entire school — the entire town, actually — is angry at Stacey for the allegation, as the basketball team is highly praised and sits on a pedestal like celebrities, and the championship game is soon. It’s a classic case of, “Look at how she dressed and how drunk she got, she was asking for it” that puts Stacey in danger of everyone thinking she is lying.

The main character, Kate, is Stacey’s friend and was at the party, but she left early and was too drunk to put together all the pieces. The guy she is talking to, Ben, is not only the boy next door, but her childhood crush and lifelong best friend. Ben is one of the sweetest guys Kate knows, but now happens to be one of the basketball players in trouble. Kate is on a mission to figure out what happened but is at crossroads with which story is right. This book is extremely powerful, as Kate and Stacey’s friendship is on the line, along with her relationship with Ben, as Kate searches for the truth. What really happened that night? And what’s in the future for Stacey, Kate, and the basketball boys?

I hope at least one of these books seems worth your time! These are the five that I would give anything to read again for the first time. Now that the article is over, get in the car and head on your way to the library — it’s time to fall in love with another book.

Abbi Donaldson is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UCF who covers all things wellness and pop culture. She is a senior at the University of Central Florida with a major in Advertising & Public Relations with a minor in Mass Culture and Collective Behavior. Abbi loves all things campaign marketing and brand strategy related. You can typically find Abbi at the gym, a music festival or binging a YA romance novel.
UCF Contributor