Life > Experiences

My Experience Working for the Holidays and Not Seeing Family for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Being the poor college student that I am, I decided to seek more part-time work with better pay and better opportunities. Understanding that I’d get hired as a seasonal worker wherever I applied, I knew I needed to keep the job I already have and just work it less than a new job.

Finding a new job, I got really excited to get paid more to work, something I’ve been looking forward to for some time. When I got through my secondary interview and was hired, I knew I was gonna be so much happier making more money, as I was craving change and needed something new.

I’ve never had to work two jobs before and I didn’t prepare myself for the stress that I was about to face.

On my first day at orientation, I was shown actual training for about 15 minutes and was then yanked away to complete more hiring process paperwork and computer registration work. This was gonna be a long day.

Today though, I’m more efficiently trained and have already worked a hectic holiday.

And here is where the story begins.

This year for the Thanksgiving holiday, I was invited to travel with my parents to South Carolina to visit with some family that I haven’t seen in a good year or two. I got excited at the opportunity and started looking forward to it. We’d be stopping in Georgia as well, a place that I’d love to call my second home. I was enlightened.

Only then did I remember that I was hired as a seasonal worker and that Black Friday was going to be a crazy blowout. Retail on Black Friday means all hands on deck.

Starting to get disheartened, I impatiently waited for my schedule to come out that included Thanksgiving and Black Friday. When I saw it, my heart sank.

Seeing that I was scheduled to work on the night of Thanksgiving, a nationally recognized holiday, made my day completely turn around. I knew all along that this was a possibility, but was hoping to good Heaven that it wasn’t true.

Needing the hours for work, I also decided to take a shift the morning of Black Friday. My shift the night before was a closing shift, meaning I’d get less than 4 hours of sleep that night in between.

This meant that I couldn’t even see my parents at all this year for Thanksgiving, something I’ve never had to endure before.

To make matters worse, I also was without my boyfriend or roommates for the weekend as they collectively traveled home to visit family for the holiday, as to be expected. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. The real answer to that was: nothing.

At this point, I had to come to appreciate that I could still FaceTime my parents and say Happy Holidays to them, wishing them the best. Beginning to assume I’d be completely alone with only my cat, I planned for a sad and boring day full of sulking and self-reflection.

But boy did I get lucky when a close friend invited me to have a truly traditional Thanksgiving dinner with her and her family. This made my attitude completely turn around and put a huge smile on my face. Getting to spend my Thanksgiving with friends and their family while having a yummy feast was a true highlight to my weekend full of work.

Having to work two jobs, I haven’t had a day off yet in nearly two weeks. When I checked to see that I worked the entire weekend at my new job, I prepared for craziness and sore feet from standing and walking.

Although now, here I am, on the other side.

I’ve successfully worked my first Black Friday/Thanksgiving Day time of the year and didn’t completely hate myself or my job while there. Pleasantly and to my surprise, the turnout wasn’t nearly as bad as I anticipated for it to be. Being able to FaceTime my parents before going into work on Thursday evening also helped, as well as the fact that I knew I’d be making time-and-a-half that night. The aftermath was a recovery process, but we all survived.

Since my holiday celebration ended so nicely, I can’t sit here and say that I’m upset that I didn’t get to physically be with my parents this year for Thanksgiving. I got to talk to them and hear their voices and see their faces. I get to see my boyfriend and my roommates again very soon.

I’m a happy gal and have a life, people, and family to be thankful for. I was blessed this year.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Shari is a senior and a Psychology major at the University of Central Florida. She loves to write, edit, works multiple jobs and loves working with animals more than anything else. A part of virtually every social media site, Shari loves scrolling through her feeds, reading comments and threads, and writing weekly articles. Wanting to make a career out of her studies, Shari is on a clinical track working to become a Psychiatrist. Shari strives to be the best version of herself every day and wants to go far with her career. She also hopes to help those around her and is always offering to reach out to anyone for help.