absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Biggest Takeaways from ‘Queer Eye’ Season 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

*Possible spoilers ahead*

Season three of “Queer Eye” premiered recently and just like the first two seasons, it’s jam-packed with the kinds of moments that will have you bawling one second and beaming the next. I can’t even tell you how many times I had a tear rolling down my cheek as I was laughing at something the Fab Five were doing. This show will put you on a rollercoaster of emotions like no other.

Season three, though, is the best season of “Queer Eye” yet. As the Fab Five (and their new companion, Bruley the French Bulldog) continue to evolve, the earnestness and vulnerability of it all become something that everyone can take a lesson from.

Many of this season’s subjects (or heroes, as the show calls them) are people who care for others first and put themselves on hold. A widowed father of two, a prison guard who has long since stopped feeling beautiful, a camp program director and co-owners of a barbecue joint (is anyone else buying their barbecue sauce?) are among the heroes who get the Fab Five treatment this season. The point is to learn that self-care isn’t selfish.

The season’s overall lesson and takeaway seems to be: You are enough. The person you are is already worthy of love, care, patience and compassion. Sometimes it’s hard to realize that you are valuable but that’s why you have to take baby steps to realize that. Each of the Fab Five adds to this overall lesson in their own way, sprinkling a bit of their confidence onto the heroes.

Bobby creates living spaces for the heroes that actually feel homey and comfortable. He teaches them, and us, that where you’re living actually does affect how you feel about yourself. You can’t live in a dump and expect to thrive.

Karamo, with his knack for heart-to-hearts, gives the pep talks and engages the heroes in activities that metaphorically represent whatever they are going through. He shows us all that you have to truly understand yourself to be able to take another step forward.

Tan takes the heroes out of the often baggy outfits they’re wearing and shows them that style doesn’t have to be over the top. Tan’s contributions to the show tell the heroes and the audience that wearing something that makes you feel good can boost your confidence.

Antoni made a BIG comeback from the previous avocado-obsessed seasons. This season he shows us how to cook, how to eat, and how to value what we’re putting in our bodies. His moments demonstrate that food is meant to be enjoyed and not to be a high-pressure situation. You are worthy of something delicious and of eating at a “special” (not fancy) restaurant.

Jonathan spews compliments like there’s no tomorrow—but he also gives the heroes fantastic haircuts. As we all know, hair is something that can truly make or break your look and how you feel about yourself. Jonathan is a master with the scissors and updates the heroes’ looks to reflect their shining personalities. PLUS, he teaches them basic skincare and we all know how refreshing a good skincare routine is.

“Queer Eye” is not just another makeover show. Each member of the Fab Five brings out the best in the episode’s subject and honestly, can leave a viewer feeling inspired to go out there and get. what. you. deserve. Season three gives the Fab Five the same roles but as each guy grows into their role, you can see how adamant they are about everyone feeling worthy of this little bit of self-care. If you haven’t yet, take the time to binge season three. I promise you’ll finish each episode feeling more and more inspired to be true to who you are. You are enough!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Camille is pursuing a Ph.D. in Communication at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL. She has bylines in the Nonahood News, Her Campus, Screen Queens, and Shifter Mag. In addition, she has worked with "The Cypress Dome," and "The Florida Review." She is enthusiastic about Latina/o/x issues, fitness, writing, and reading. She is on Instagram and Twitter: @camilleeejoan
UCF Contributor