Laura Reiss at Kindness Matters Headquarters
Laura Reiss

Meet Laura Reiss: The Founder of Kindness Matters 365

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“There is something really magical about giving back where you can with what you have.” In 2008, Laura Reiss decided she wanted her children to grow up in a community where people wanted to give back where they could with what they had. She started the very first Kindness Matters 365 after-school club to create that community around her. 

Laura Reiss and Megan Lee hugging at a Nourish Kindness event
Mia Paolini

Laura didn’t know when she walked into the first Kindness Matters 365 meeting that this one club with its 35 members would grow until thousands of members existed in over 100 clubs across 12 states — she just wanted to do good in her community. In her own words, Kindness Matters 365 “is committed to global kindness and inspiring and educating our children about the many ways to give back to our community.” Primarily, Kindness Matters 365 exists as a free after-school program where speakers from different philanthropic organizations talk to members about what they do. Members are then given an opportunity to participate in a project for that organization.

Laura wants to see a change in how people treat others and themselves globally. She says that she sees “every day [as] an opportunity to be grateful, an opportunity to choose kindness and show kindness.” After 12 years dedicated to kindness, compassion and gratitude, Laura has seen firsthand the difference that kindness can have on a community. Laura’s kindness movement has made such an impact in the community that everyone knows who she is and just about every car you pass in the area has an official Kindness Matters 365 magnet…or 16, if you’re Laura. In a few words, Laura just wants to see people “being the best version of themselves.”

Laura Reiss at the front of a classroom during a Kindness Matters 365 meeting
Mia Paolini

Sometimes, the children who would walk into a Kindness Matters 365 club meeting were surprising. Laura told me about an experience with one child named Jake. When Jake, the known bully of the school, walked into one of the club meetings, Laura did a double-take. Confused and a little worried, she prepared for whatever this would bring. After six months of interruptions, disrespect and not listening, something changed. A speaker from Camp Boggy Creek was telling the children about a summer camp for sick children. Although Jake was quiet and respectful during the presentation, when he raised his hand, Laura held her breath. Then, Jake simply asked if there was any availability left at Camp Boggy Creek. The speaker explained that the camp was currently at capacity every year, but asked why he wanted to know. When Jake revealed that his sister had cancer, Laura said “that was it, the ambassadors were crying, I was hysterical.” All of a sudden, Jake’s behavior made sense. Laura was happy to report that Jake was able to learn healthy ways to ask for the attention he needed, and both he and his sister are doing well today. 

In five, 10, 50, or even 100 years Laura wants Kindness Matters 365 to continue promoting the message they were built on: to “empower and educate our future to understand that we all just need to be kind to each other.” 

If you want to get involved or start your own club, click here

Watch the full interview below: 

Megan is a Senior at UCF majoring in English with a Creative Writing track. When she isn't reading or writing, you can find her watching her favorite TV shows and movies. Megan loves to travel and has already crossed 10 countries off her list. You can find more of Megan on her YouTube channel www.youtube.com/meganreneevideos, on Instagram @meganreneetoday, or TikTok @meganreneetoday
UCF Contributor