Meet the Latin Rhythm Instructors Heating Up UCF!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Among the 650 registered clubs and organizations that UCF has to offer, there are many different dance clubs of varying cultural and musical background. Latin Rhythm is a Latin dance club offering Casino Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue.

Latin Rhythm has been traced back to the 2002-2003 school year where it was formerly called Ritmo Latino. It was founded by a group of students who had attended and founded a Latin dance club at Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, FL. Stephanie Schlottfeldt, Christine Taylor, Joseph Garcia & José Vasquez from the original high school club all decided to attend UCF and brought the club with them to be approved by the Office of Student Activities (now called the Office of Student Involvement). After being approved, the rest is history and the club has been thriving and growing ever since.

The current staff of Latin Rhythm work hard to create new and exciting content for their members and had many things to say about how dance has impacted their lives.

Celine RodriguezEvent Coordinator

Bachata Instructor/Salsa Teacher Assistant

When and how did you start dancing?

CR: “I saw the Latin Rhythm booth on campus and signed up to get information from them. I’ve been dancing since the summer of 2015, so about a year and a half.”

What is your favorite Latin dance?

CR: “Bachata. It’s less aggressive than Salsa. You can include intricate moves and feel a connection with your partner.”

What is your major? What do you do outside of dance?

CR: “My major is Psychology. I work and am a Resident Assistant.”

Tell me what the dance community is like.

CR: “Everyone is friendly and open! No one will turn you away for having no experience or not knowing how to do a certain move. They’re all very helpful.”

What has dance done for your life or you personally?

CR: “I’ve definitely gained more confidence and I met my best friends through this club and the dance community. I’ve had such unique experiences such as going to Latin dance congresses and meeting people from all over the country. It also allowed me to take on a leadership position and learn from a different perspective.”

What do you have to say to people who are curious to try Latin Rhythm or Latin dancing in general?

CR: “Go for it! You’ll never know until you try it. You’ll make so many new friends and it’s really just a great experience to have in college.”

Photo Credit: Michael Chen Photography. Pictured from left to right: Brian Corteguera in the blue shirt behind Juanes Arias. Juanes Arias and Celine Rodriguez up front teaching a class.

Juanes AriasVice President

Salsa/Bachata Instructor

When and how did you start dancing?

JA: “I started dancing in the summer of 2015. I knew in high school that I wanted to start dancing so I looked into the clubs and opportunities that different schools offered. I chose UCF because I found Latin Rhythm on Knight Connect.”

What is your favorite Latin dance?

JA: *He laughs. “It changes with the season! Right now it’s Salsa.”

JA: “Chemistry. I work in a research lab, cut hair, and am currently learning French. I’m also an avid reader and I do yoga!”

JA: “The dance community in Central Florida is very prominent and vibrant. There’s a great amount of people that you connect with through dance, even strangers, who all enjoy the scene. It’s enjoying life in a healthy way. We still party and have fun but it’s not like a normal college party. It’s a healthy environment.”

JA: “It’s been my first time being in a leadership position with responsibility. It’s an awesome opportunity to lead and be involved in this community and it’s been a great asset for me. Dance led me to lead! It’s also an outlet to de-stress and have fun!”

JA: “Don’t be scared to try it. I was intimidated at the beginning but was welcomed in by the community. We’re not constrained to race, gender, or anything and are like a little family. You’ll always find someone you know when you go dancing.”

Pictured from left to right: Brian Corteguera, Celine Rodriguez, and Juanes Arias.

Brian CortegueraSecretary/Treasurer

Merengue/Salsa instructor

When and how did you start dancing?

BC: “I started dancing Conga in 4th grade in Cuba. It was a choreographed dance and a big elementary school trend at the time. I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone. I liked it so much that I continued it through the rest of elementary school, to 6th grade.”

What is your favorite Latin dance?

BC: “Merengue! It’s versatile and you can mix the patterns to employ them in other dances like Salsa and Bachata.”

BC: “I’m majoring in Biology with a pre-veterinarian track. I volunteer for biology related things such as maintaining oyster beds or monitoring the mosquito population in swamps. I enjoy painting: sometimes on canvas, with watercolor or pens and pencils whenever I feel creative. I am also learning Portuguese for an upcoming trip to Portugal.”

BC: “There are many opportunities to get involved with the dance community like Orlando Salsa Congress (OSC) and the University of Florida (UF) Congress. I’ve been to both and you feel like you’re a part of it, not like an outsider. There are some really good dancers out there but they’re all humble and willing to help you with a particular move or pattern. They’re friends, encouragers, and full of energy! It’s a family atmosphere and definitely contagious to be in.”

BC: “Believe it or not, I used to be really shy! Many people don’t believe me when I say that now, but it’s true. I’ve gained confidence overall as a person. It also makes your communication skills better; you have to learn how to break down a move four different ways to help someone understand it. It helps your professional life, your personal relationships, and your ability for teamwork. It’s really connecting with other people and finding those friendships that you may never have found if you hadn’t opened yourself up to the community.”

BC: “I say ‘If you can walk, you can dance. All you’re missing is rhythm.” I was intimidated at first too, but your commitment to practice is what will make perfection.”

Membership dues for Salsa classes are $25 a semester and $5 a semester for Bachata classes. Salsa classes are held every week in the Student Union room 221 at 9 pm and Bachata classes are held biweekly in the Psychology building room 106 at 8:45 pm.

There will be a Valentine’s Day social on February 14th in the Student Union room 221 at 9 pm for a class and the social starts at 10pm. Brian will be teaching the very first Merengue workshop on the same night at 9pm in front of room 218 AB. 

Latin Rhythm will also be hosting their 7th Annual Multicultural Dance Exhibition on April 8th! It is an all day event located at UCF and it free for UCF students. There will be workshops, socials, and a great time! 

Source for introductory paragraph information: 1, Brian Corteguera, and Stephanie Schlottfeldt 

Sydney is a senior Psychology major at the University of Central Florida who is an old soul and a realistic dreamer. She loves hole-in-the-wall eateries, latin dancing, musicals, and witty humor. La La Land is one of her new favorite movie musicals and is definitely worth all of the Academy Award buzz. She has been writing all of her life and has recently decided to pursue it as more than just a hobby. This is her debut writing for a publication. Her future plans include traveling and experiencing other cultures, writing, continually learning, and trying the best tiramisu that the world has to offer.
UCF Contributor