This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The past week UCF held one of its most anticipated competitions: Mr. and Miss. UCF. The faces of the school are chosen based on five criteria: a private interview, an on stage question, lifestyle and fitness, talent, and evening wear. The prize for this competition comes in the form of scholarship funds for attendance at UCF. The 2017 winner for men is UCF’s very own, Angelo Baldado. Angelo is a familiar face around campus, always involved in something and ready to help with a smile. Here’s a little more about the new Mr. UCF! 

How long have you been at UCF and what are you involved in?  

I am in my second year at the University of Central Florida studying for a Social Work degree, with a Theatre Minor. I am involved right now with UCF Athletics on the Spirit Team, a Student Orientation Coordinator in the First Year Experience Office, the Volunteer UCF Civic Engagement Director, and a Guest Service Associate in the Student Union.

Would you say that you feel rewarded in being so involved on campus? Why?

My involvement has deeply impacted my life and I wouldn’t be here today without all of it. Every single agency and organization I have been apart of has taught me life lessons that I use in all that I do.

What made you want to compete for Mr. UCF? How do you feel knowing that you are the new titleholder?  

I had a couple friends who said Angelo, this would be fun for you. After thinking about it, I thought I could be a great representative for UCF if given the opportunity. I am beyond excited but I am also a little nervous due to the big title and the thought of representing 63,000+ students. I am looking forward to promoting my platform of volunteerism working with different organizations like Volunteer UCF to hopefully influencing and change the life’s of many.

What was your talent for the show, and how long have you been practicing?

For my talent I danced to the song “Black or White” by Michael Jackson. This piece was choreographed by a good friend, Daquan Barnes, and I wouldn’t be here without him. I practiced that piece for 2 months.

If you could describe yourself using one sentence, what would that sentence be?

Living in peace, not in pieces.

What do you love most about being a Knight?

As a UCF Knight, I love the community I am a part of. I love the culture of UCF and how we stand for opportunity, respect, and of course, diversity and inclusion. I have so much love and spirit for UCF, and I am proud to say I bleed black and gold. Go Knights and Charge On.

Mariah is a Junior Social Sciences major with minors in Journalism, Political Science, and Sociology. You can always find her in a local coffee shop, a yoga class, or writing a never-ending amount of papers. Always eager to talk politics, go on adventures, and experience something new. With dreams to work for a non-profit organization that gives back to the world, and eventually take those experiences in to the poitical sphere, making the world a better place is always a priority. Follow Mariah on social media if you want to learn how to get on board, find cool places to go on adventures, or learn more about what's going on in the world around us! 
UCF Contributor