Making It Through December With Phoebe Bridgers’s New Holiday EP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Singer-songwriter Phoebe Bridgers probably appeared on many sad girl’s Spotify Wrapped this year. With her major impacts on alternative music and her many Grammy nominations, she continues her brand of slow, mellow, and passionate music with her warm welcome to the holidays. Her new Christmas EP entitled So Much Wine includes her collection of various sad holiday songs and her spin on each of them. 

The Bitter Cold Background

Releasing her first Christmas song back in 2017, Bridgers keeps the slow intensity on “Have Yourself A Merry Christmas”. The smooth guitar in the back welcomes her soothing tone and matches the weather this time of year: cold and dark. 

Phoebe keeps this streak of Christmas songs for the next five years and didn’t disappoint us in 2022. Instead, she wraps these holiday songs and puts a bow on top by adding “So Much Wine” (originally by The Handsome Family) to her collection. 

Songs, including “Christmas Song”, “Day After Tomorrow”, “If We Make It Through December”, and “7 O’Clock News/ Silent Night” featuring Fiona Apple and Matt Berninger, are all included in her brand-new EP. Each song tells its own holiday story, and Phoebe knows exactly how to keep each song personal by making the tone of the song match the sad lyrics needed to get the message across. 

Her new EP So Much Wine is perfect for this cold season. Whether you’re cuddled up on a couch with a book, driving back home, or in your favorite coffee shop, Phoebe gives us the ultimate sad girl EP, holiday edition. 

Julia Zanatta is a senior at University of Central Florida. This is her third year writing for Her Campus, and she is so grateful to be a part of the team. She is majoring in English, Creative Writing track. In her free time, she likes to read, journal, paint, and listen to music.