Majoring in Indecisiveness with a Minor in Uncertainty: Why Changing Your Major is TOTALLY OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a freshman in college, the past year has been full of decisions and adjustments. From choosing a college to picking a major, to simply picking what comforter I wanted for my dorm. For me, my first semester in particular was a time of rapid growth and amazing opportunities, but it started with a lot of doubt and uncertainty.

“College is when you find yourself,” they said. “The options are endless. Find something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

But what if the thing you love isn’t a good fit for a career? What if, after taking classes or interning you can’t see yourself doing it for a living.

What now?

Well. I changed my major before school even started. And I wouldn’t have wanted it to happen any other way.

I graduated high school with my A.A. Degree, which sounds great until you realize you’re basically junior status with freshman experience. There wasn’t much time for experimenting. I started as a Social Work Major and I was going to get into the program and finish with my master’s in three years. That’s what I told everyone. That’s what I told myself. But the more I thought about it, the less right my decision felt. I couldn’t see myself as a social worker, even though it interested me. So I decided, two weeks before my first semester at UCF, that I would change my major. I looked through the list of majors, and settled on Advertising and Public Relations. I came to find out that this was something I wanted to do, even though I never would have picked it at first. The field is one full of options, from art to writing to social media. So I dropped all but one of my classes and successfully signed up for three for my new major.  I was happy and excited to learn. After getting accepted into the major, I realized that this was for me. I had found my niche.

Now, starting my second semester, I am settling in and things are falling into place. I always believed they would but now I am experiencing it. I’m in love with my major, I’m honing my skills, and I am now a writer for Her Campus. I’ve always loved writing and I’m figuring out that I can actually do it as my career, which is something I never would have thought possible at this time last year.

So, I know it’s cliché, but everything happens for a reason. I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it to be true. Do what brings you joy, and it will bring you to success. If it no longer brings you joy, it’s absolutely OK to change paths. You’re allowed to mess up in college. And, pro tip, you’re allowed to mess up in “real life,” too.

You’ve got this, babes.

Photo credit: 1, 2

Mady is a advertising-public relations/psychology major at the University of Central Florida. She spends her time at the Catholic Campus Ministry at UCF, listening to music, and writing. Mady is from Melbourne, Florida, and enjoys the beach, soccer, and watercolor painting. She is a new writer for Her Campus, as well as a member of the student chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association, Quotes. She has a passion for writing, mental health, as well as for art and music, and she is seeking a job in which she can combine all of these.
UCF Contributor