This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It truly is a shame that you can’t read. I know you would get a lot of enjoyment out of it, considering you get such pleasure from so many little things. All it takes to get your tail wagging is just a piece of chicken or an abandoned sock (which is a little gross, but I’ll let it slide). It’s nice that you appreciate the tiniest moments in life because it reminds me to do the same. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if more humans had your optimism. Your species really has a talent for that, I must say.

Another thing I have to thank you for is celebrating my presence every time I enter the room. It’s like you’ve forgotten I was just there the minute before and need to remind me that yes, you still love me, and yes, you are ecstatic to be experiencing life with me. It’s like a holiday every day in your big brown eyes. On the days I don’t feel significant to anyone, you are the best company to keep.

I love it when I’m sitting on my bed reading or working on an essay and you decide to join me and do whatever possible to press your entire body against my leg to feel as close to me as you can. It brings a sense of comfort that is difficult to put into words. I can actually feel my anxieties fading when I can hear the sound of your little paws clicking on the wooden floor from the next room. The knowledge that we are existing in the same space brings me peace, and I feel lucky to know a creature as kind, gentle and loving as you.

Time to get serious for a second (you won’t understand, but I still felt the need to preface this). Times are indeed strange and scary right now, and I don’t think I would be as okay without your frequent puppy kisses as a constant reassurance. You are doing a wonderful job of reminding me there are lovely things to experience in this world even under the circumstances.

You bring out the best parts of me and invite me to be the purest version of myself. As a dog, you don’t have to pretend to be anything but who you are. We don’t have to speak the same language to be able to say “I love you.”

Caroline Hull is a senior at the University of Central Florida and is double majoring in Theatre Studies and Creative Writing. She is pursuing her dreams of either being a successful playwright or an English teacher, and loves to spend her spare time cuddling with her dogs, Maya and Winston.
UCF Contributor