a picture of me in front of a wall of rainbow hearts
Stephanie Shekarchi
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Love.

How can a word, one that holds so much magic and beauty, easily turn into that of rage and hostility when placed into the wrong hands? A word that can allow a person to experience indescribable feelings with whoever and however they choose but has turned into a concept that is only “allowed” for certain people. A notion that is dictated by others on how, when, where and with whom it is acceptable. That love is not for people who see it differently, who recognize its true meaning. That in order to love, we must love in the same way others have forced us to for centuries. Forcing us to succumb to their views, regardless of how outdated they may seem. But I am here to tell you, with the small voice I have that, this is simply not true. 

There has never been a time, nor will there ever come one, to fall to these ideas of what love should be. And although it may seem like an endless journey to give it everything you have; to never stop fighting for what is right because one day, things will change and one day we will all get the love that we deserve, the love that is just as much yours as it is mine. The time for disrespecting, ridiculing and forcing people to change who they are and who they want to be with has long been over and is something that never should have started. There is no set person you must love if it is not who you choose. There is no specific way to show how you love someone if you are not comfortable with it. And there is no rule that says you have to love anyone. And that is all perfectly okay. 

Love is limitless and love does not listen to what society deems normal. That is why no matter how hard you try to stop the butterflies in your stomach or the pounding in your chest when you see the person you love, you simply cannot. Believing you have the power to force others to try and hide these feelings due to your own ignorance and bigotry is something so absurd to the people on this planet, who only wish for peace, love and happiness. To label something as “wrong” for the sole reason that you were taught to say and think this way is unfathomable. You are so open to learning why something is wrong, but refuse to question or learn from others as to why it is right. 

Who you love, how you love, who you choose to give your love; we all have the right to this, and although it can seem tiresome that there may never come a day where we can fully express ourselves the way we truly want. Never allow anyone or anything to take away this beautiful feeling we are so lucky to be able to experience. This world is filled with so much despair and hatred and that in itself is hard to make sense of in this day and age. When it seems so easy to just allow everyone to do what makes them happy. I have hope that one day we can all understand the true meaning of love and that we can give everyone the equal opportunity to express it freely and without fear. I hope that one day love will be without punishment and consequence. I hope that the fight for these dreams will reach its happy ending, and as a result, we will have happy people getting to experience the life that they deserve.

And with that, I hope love can feel like magic and beauty again, to everyone.

Stephanie is a sophomore majoring in Early Education and Anthropology with a minor in Biological Anthropology! She loves her two dogs, painting, and sewing her own clothes!
UCF Contributor