Love: A Dangerous Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

L.O.V.E. This four letter word holds a lot of weight behind it, to some more than others. We often misuse this word and misunderstand the use of this word. How can we truly understand just how serious this word is when we here it on a regular basis. In passing walking across campus I can hear the word a handful of times. 

“Oh I love that song!”….“I love your new haircut!”….“I love you….”

The word is the same but the meaning is different. So to clear up the confusion I decided to actually look up what Love means, the results were abundant. 

Love –noun

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.

2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

3. sexual passion or desire.

4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.

5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?

6.love affair;  an intensely amorous incident; amour.

7. sexual intercourse; copulation. 

As you can see above, the word Love has multiple meanings in reality, but in a relationship it usually has only one meaning, and that is the first one. A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person, Love. But to often the third definition, sexual passion or desire is the fuel to the fire that you think is love. The most common definition for Lust:  Intense sexual desire or appetite. It’s very familiar to what Love can be defined as, but I’m sure as many of you know they are very different. 

Having an understanding of Love and the differences between them can help you in your own path to finding that special someone. Being attracted to and having sexual chemistry is important but when it comes down to it the real factors are the ones you can’t see. The conversations, the meals alone, the willingness to try to find an interest in something that the other enjoys. The effort to put yourself on the back burner and put someone’s needs ahead of your own. If you find yourself in a relationship where your significant other is often concerned more about there own well being, then they are either not ready to be in a relationship or not in love. It just takes time to realize the signs. We’ve all said the words, I love you, some more than others. But no matter if you’ve found your one and only, or if your still looking into that big sea full of fish, know that everyone loves and everyone loses but you’ll always pick yourself back up.

-Real UCF Guy