Living Life Out Loud: Being the “Extra” Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“You’re so extra!” Extra what? That’s up the imagination.

Is it an insult? Is it a compliment? No one knows. Welcome to 2017 where nothing a millennial says makes sense anymore, and I am LIVING for it.

I personally take being called “extra” a compliment. In fact, I have made it my goal to be the Most Extra Ever. How will I accomplish this you might ask? Well the secret is, I already am!

In high school, everyone knows each other and you can be judged for almost anything. Living in fear based on how you dress, act, or exist, isn’t a fun feeling, and being “extra” probably isn’t a good thing.

Meanwhile, in college, you are free to be whoever you want to be and the more “out-there” you are, the more likely you are to have a good time.

I have taken the liberty to stop living my life in fear and start living as extra as possible, and from some help from me, you too can be extra as h*ck.

Step 1: Acquire Glitter

This is essential to having an amazing day. Wake up, sprinkle some glitter in your hair, pop some in the inner corner of your eyelids, and keep a handful in your pockets for emergency surprises, and Voila! you’re already leaps and bounds ahead of others. Not only are you extra as hell, it’s scientifically proven that you’re going to be 326% happier now that you’re adding a little sparkle to your step (and to those who trail behind you).

Step 2: Purchase a fur vest

I personally purchased my fur vest from the kid’s section in Target. Does that get me bonus points? Of course, it does! Even more bonus points? It’s pink. Now I’m not saying that you also need to purchase a ridiculously colored fur vest, but I am currently in the lead for being the most extra, so it’s up to you. With this fur vest, you will take the world by storm and look amazing while doing it.

Step 3: Delete your filter

Don’t let anyone or anything stop you from expressing yourself. Say what you want to say. Do what you want to do. Live life out loud, loud enough for those around you to stare and wonder why they aren’t as happy as you are. Be who YOU want to be, and do the most. The only way to be the most extra ever is to let loose and not let anything stand in your way.

With these three simple steps, you will be well on your way to being extra af. Of course, I couldn’t give away all my secrets, but hopefully these treat you well because they are the essentials. Don’t live your life in fear of judgement. Let everything out, because if your personality shines, you will open those around you and ultimately change the world. Just remember to never leave home without your glitter, and you’ll do just fine.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

Lena is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida and very emotional about it. She serves as HCUCF's President and Campus Correspondent and is studying hospitality in hopes of making her childhood dreams of getting paid to travel the world come true. She is head over heels in love with all things aesthetically pleasing, so what could be better than working a job that will result in cute photos? While she's not in school or checking out the tacky tourist attractions around Orlando, you can find her spending more money than she has on concerts, clothes, and crappy coffee. She is a low-key movie addict and a high-key Instagram addict. If you want to see what she's up to when she's not hiding behind her laptop screen, you can follow her on Instagram @lena.daniels 
UCF Contributor