This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Currently the world’s biggest girl group of this generation, Little Mix has released five albums with their sixth album CONFETTI coming in November. In their process of becoming a household name, the girl group has released songs fit for almost any mood one might be feeling at the moment. Whether you need to let out your anger, feel confident in yourself, or reminisce about the good times, there’s a Little Mix song for every mood. 

If you’re feeling empowered… “Salute”

If you’re feeling empowered, I suggest listening to “Salute” off of Little Mix’s second album, Salute

The song is a feminist anthem with lyrics such as “Divas, queens, we don’t need no man,” and “Get your killer heels, sneakers, pumps or lace up your boots. Representing all the women, salute, salute.” It’s one of their most popular songs, and it was used for the Women’s WWE in 2018 and as a campaign for the England Women’s Soccer Team. The song is perfect to listen to when you need to conquer your workouts, fight the patriarchy, or just need a quick empowerment boost.

Best lyric: “Ladies, the time has come, the war has begun. Let us stand together and remember, men fight great, but women are greater fighters”

Honorable Mentions: “Stand Down,” “See Me Now,” “Change Your Life”

If you’re feeling angry… “Freak”

Anger is something everyone goes through. On Little Mix’s fourth album Glory Days, the quartet expresses their anger towards their cheating partner in the fiery song “Freak.”

The song follows the girls as they warn their lover about a side they’ve never seen, singing “Little boy you better run along, don’t want to make me sorry.” The girls are explaining to their lover that there are two sides to them, “The one you want your mother to meet and the one that’s a freak,” while simultaneously praying that he doesn’t see this other side of them. Not for their own sake, but for his. It’s a perfect song to play when getting over a person that has cheated on you or whoever made you out to be a fool. Don’t let him play you, girl.

Best lyric: “Be your nightmare or your queen. Go ‘head bad boy live your dream, don’t come crawling back to me”

Honorable Mentions: “F.U.,” “Going Nowhere,” “You Gotta Not”

If you’re feeling sexy… “Notice”

Off of their fifth album LM5, Little Mix’s “Notice” is the perfect song for feeling sexy. This sultry and sensual song off of the album not only shows the girls asserting their sexual liberation, but also shows the frustration of the lover not seeming to notice their desire to have sex or spice things up.

With the lyrics “There’s sex in the air,” Little Mix seems to be giving a nod to Rihanna with her single, “S&M.” The song is one to play when trying to please your partner or yourself if they don’t notice your efforts. Word of advice: If they don’t seem to notice, then you make them notice your gorgeous self.

Best Lyric: “Do you wanna get behind it? Flip it over and recline it? Undress me just the way I like it?”

Honorable Mentions: “Private Show,” “A.D.I.D.A.S.,” “Touch”

If you’re reminiscing… “Clued Up”

Another from their Get Weird album is the song “Clued Up,” which is co-written by Jessie J. Little Mix reminisces about everything they’ve been through and were told, singing “They told me no, keep my dreams on the low, Told me I’d never win, yeah,” with just their vocals and a guitar.

The girls sing about how they now know what it takes to survive, and they’re ready to take on life, feeling “clued up” despite all the negativity. The lyrics are relatable for everyone that’s ever been told they’ll never make it far and have always questioned themselves in life. The song is perfect for when you’re accomplishing so much in life and remembering how some people probably didn’t believe in you.

Best lyric: “Everything I face, no, it’s never forgotten, ‘Cause every single day is a chance I can blossom”

Honorable Mentions: “The Beginning,” “The Cure,” “More Than Words”

If your heart is broken… “Love Me or Leave Me”

It’s no secret that Little Mix are the queens of ballads, especially when they’re about heartbreak. From their third album Get Weird, Little Mix begs their lover to either love them or walk away from everything they’ve built together in “Love Me or Leave Me.”

It’s one of their more heartbreaking songs, as each girl delivers gravity-defying runs while pleading and demanding emotion. The song is definitely a tearjerker. It’s perfect to listen to if your heart was broken by someone you truly loved, or when you know that a relationship is about to go downhill.

Best lyric: “And love me baby please cause I could still be the only one you need. The only one close enough to feel you breathe. Yeah I could still be that place where you run instead of the one that you’re running from, ooh”

Honorable Mentions: “The End,” “Towers,” “Turn Your Face”

If you’re feeling happy… “Move”

The lead single from their Salute album is probably one of the happiest songs that Little Mix has ever released. “Move” is an R&B song with quirky sounds, including noises made from the girls’ mouths, and it gives 1990s club vibes.

The song follows the girls as they sing about wanting to be able to dance, telling the guys that girls like the ones who dance. It’s an upbeat and catchy song that finds itself on repeat, especially when the girls sing “so when we move, you move” and say to give up trying to “look too cool.” This song is definitely one to play at parties to get people onto the dance floor or to play in your room as a pick-me-up, because the song always brings a smile.

Best lyric: “But there’s just one problem, I’m a bit old school. When it comes to lovin’, I ain’t chasing you”

Honorable Mentions: “Black Magic,” “Word Up!,” “Shout Out to My Ex”

If you’re feeling confident… “Strip”

Are you tired of the body shaming? LM5’s fourth track “Strip” featuring Sharayah J is one of the best confidence songs released in 2018. The song is about self-acceptance, especially after always listening to outside sources that attacked your looks, whether you have little boobs or a big butt or nothing. It’s a song about body-positivity that reminds listeners to unapologetically be themselves and love who they are, despite what anyone else says.

It’s an anthem for women of all sizes and colors, hoping to promote that being happy with yourself is the best version of you. Each girl in Little Mix has faced a large amount of hate from the world since the beginning of their career; Leigh-Anne and Jesy being the most recent to speak out about their experiences. The song is perfect for when you need a confidence boost after someone says something to you or when your mind isn’t being nice to you. The music video for the song is just as empowering.

Best lyric: “Take off all my make-up ’cause I love what’s under it. Rub off all your words, don’t give a, ‘uh,’ I’m over it. Jiggle all this weight, yeah, you know I love all of this. Finally love me naked, sexiest when I’m confident.”

Honorable Mentions: “Little Me,” “Wings,” “We Are Who We Are”

If you’re in love… “I Love You”

It’s a gut-wrenching song that hits you right in your feels. Also off of Get Weird, “I Love You” joins the long list of beautiful ballads by Little Mix. The song is a representation of how much someone loves another person despite their heart not being ready. The singer is unable to hold back their love for this person, despite trying their hardest to not grow attached.

It’s such a love song that Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne Pinnock, who got engaged on May 29, 2020, stated in a video that she wanted “I Love You” to play at her wedding. The song is soft and sultry until the end, showing how the feelings have built up until they’ve exploded. This is the perfect song to play when you’re falling in love with someone and you’re not sure of yourself. It’s the perfect pop love song ballad.

Best lyric: “I just wanna scream out ’til my voice breaks, even if the tears fall and my heart hates me. Baby I love you”

Honorable Mentions: “Love Me Like You,” “Nobody Else Matters,” “Is Your Love Enough?”

If you’re feeling energetic… “Weird People”

As we can tell so far, the Get Weird album is filled with enough songs to cover a range of emotions. “Weird People” is Little Mix’s most energetic song to date, as the girls encourage others to embrace their weird selves while ignoring what everyone else thinks about them. It has a funky beat with interesting sounds and one-line hitters that takes listeners back to the early ’90s.

Though it’s not the strongest on the album, “Weird People” is popular for its in-your-face attitude within the fandom. If you’re feeling energetic, I suggest you put this song on and dance like no one’s watching. The song is perfect for parties, especially those with a ’90s theme, or when throwing a private dance party in your bedroom. Besides, if you’re comfortable with yourself, does it matter what other people think?

Best lyric: “I ain’t doing nothing wrong, baby, I’m just feeling myself. I’m just gonna twerk it out like I ain’t afraid for my health”

Honorable Mentions: “OMG,” “Hair,” “How Ya Doing?”

If you’re fed up… “Wasabi”

If you’ve ever felt like someone couldn’t stop talking about you and you grew fed up over it, then the fan-favorite “Wasabi” from LM5 is the song to hear. This song received a lot of mixed reviews but was still widely popular, especially with Little Mix’s Jade Thirlwall, who took credit for writing the song. “Wasabi” is a very outlandish song on the first listen, as some lyrics such as “stick like toffee, sip like coffee” and “Lick me up, I’m sweet and salty” can definitely push someone away.

The song has a deeper meaning, since the girls of Little Mix faced many years of being critiqued in the media for being “too provocative” and always speaking up. It’s a very catchy song that is basically a “f*ck you” to haters and anyone else that only has negative things to say. This song is perfect for you to send to someone that’s been hating on you, or if you just want to have fun.

Best lyric: “All the ugly things you say, come and say ’em to my face” and “You know I love the way you talk about me, look at how far it got me.”

Honorable Mentions: “Down & Dirty,” “Joan of Arc,” “Woman’s World”

Little Mix are only getting better with their ballads and their ability to evoke emotions from those that take the time to listen. With their newest album coming out on November 6 of this year, I can only hope that there will be more songs fitting for every mood that exists.

I’ve compiled all of Little Mix’s songs in this playlist if you want to listen to these songs! 

TaTiana is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida on the way to receive a Bachelor's in English-Creative Writing and a minor in theater. She hopes to pursue a career as an author in the near future. TaTiana spends a lot of her time reading books or writing down new ideas to create her own stories, oftentimes turning to the internet to distract herself from said responsibilities. If she's not in her bedroom reading or writing, one can find her at one of the local theme parks or a winery with her friends. You can find her on Instagram @thisgirltatiana
UCF Contributor