This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

What’s better than women empowering women? A girl group releasing an entire album about empowerment and self-love. Any idea who this group could be? Their success started on the UK version of The X Factor when they became the first girl group to win the grand prize in 2011. They originally auditioned as solo artists until they were invited to continue the competition as a group. Jesy Nelson, Leigh-Anne Pinnock, Jade Thirlwall and Perrie Edwards together form Little Mix (from left to right in the header image).

Their long-awaited album LM5 has finally graced our ears and let me tell you, I’m currently writing this bald from the vocals and harmonies that cleared my skin and paid my tuition. Legend has it, they’re snatching wigs left and right. This 18-track deluxe album was everything we needed and more. Put your set belts on, because it’s going to be a magical ride.

1. “The National Manthem”

She is a bad bitch / Made up of magic / Pray to the goddess / Don’t break your promise / Thou shall be faithful and honest.

The album starts with vocals, vocals and nothing but vocals. This 29 seconds of perfection sets the vibe of the rest of the album. It’s in your face in the best way. The play on words in the title is what I live for.

2. “Woman Like Me” (ft. Nicki Minaj)

I made a few mistakes, I regret it nightly / I broke a couple hearts that I wear on my sleeve / My momma always said, “Girl, you’re trouble” and / And now I wonder, could you fall for a woman like me?

This track and music video is setting the tone of how a “typical” woman should be: a stay-at-home mom ironing, making breakfast, and taking care of the house. The women of Little Mix soon realize that they aren’t the “typical” woman, so they break the norm and do their own thing. With Nicki on the track, there’s lots of girl power in the making.

3. “Think About Us”

Now we’re dancing in the club / And it’s fire when we touch / Do you think about us? / Do you think about us? / When we’re deeper in the crowd / Can you feel my body now? / Do you think about us?

This song is for when you’re missing someone’s touch and embrace, and you’re just wondering if they’re feeling the same. The connection is so strong that you can’t help but want to be close with them again. It’s definitely a sensual track, but it’s also really beautiful.

4. “Strip” (ft. Sharaya J)

Love who you wanna / Don’t give a damn if it’s a man or a woman / Wanna talk about color? / It’s the skin that I’m in, yeah, I get from my mama / I’m a woman, don’t test me / Baby, I’m growing, my stretch-marks are sexy / I don’t owe you nothing / Nah, I don’t give a, no, not anymore

Little Mix has gone through a lot of scrutiny about the way they dress, especially in their performances. Which is weird, because why do people feel the need to body shame women and tell them what they can and can’t wear? Recently, Piers Morgan shamed these ladies along with other women who are confident in their sexuality and their body proving exactly what Little Mix is stating in this song. This is a big screw you to anyone who has anything negative to say.

5. “Monster In Me”

Every moment we spend / Turning from friends to enemies / And fighting to hold on to each other/ Every second we fall to fire below/ It’s so beautiful/ The hell that we both made for each other / (But it’s all love and war) / Louder we roar / (Crying for more) / I know it’s so wrong

We’re not perfect people. We have our flaws and our faults, but that’s what makes us who we are. In a relationship, it’s easy to let these faults be the end of a relationship. Instead of embracing your partner’s faults, you run from them instead of addressing them. Those who do embrace these faults, though realize that they still love their partner despite anything else.

6. “Joan of Arc”

Make way for the G-O, double D, E-S-S-S / Spare no enemies in this dress / Uh-huh, uh-huh / I make myself feel sexy / Fan of myself, I’m stannin’ myself / I love me so much I put my hands on myself / Fan of myself, I’m stannin’ myself / I love me so much, can’t keep my hands off myself

You know that song you dance to while you’re in the shower, out of the shower, doing your making or feeling down? Yeah, this is that song. It’s all about self-love as well as just being your own girl boss and not needing anyone to make you love yourself, because, in this house, we’re stannin’ ourselves and loving ourselves.

7. “Love a Girl Right”

You know I’ll be watching you / ‘Cause she the baddest thing to ever happen to ya / And that’s the truth / Don’t make have to hurt ya / ‘Cause I know right now we’re cool / But if I ever hear you mess this up / I’m comin’ after you

Your girlfriends are some of the most amazing people in your life, and you’d do anything for them and hurt anyone that hurts them. When a new person comes into our girlfriends’ life, this song is what you send after everything is all said and done to let them know that they better love her right or they’re going to lose the best thing that ever happened to them. FACTS. Shout out to my girls because you guys deserve nothing less than the world.

8. “American Boy”

Singing, singing, singing / Ooh la la, he breaks my heart / I know he thinks about her when he plays guitar / And ooh la la, my American boy 

This is the song to your summer fling or someone you’re interested in, but you don’t know if it’s something you want to pursue just yet. You know that the person is unavailable, but you still like to daydream about them anyway. 

9. “Told You So”

Girl, just come round mine tonight / I’ve got wine and make-up wipes / I’ll hold you, I’ll hold you / We can put the kettle on / Talk ‘bout how he’s not the one / I told you / But I’m never gonna say I told you so

Heartbreak hurts. It stingsespecially when you have to watch your best friend go through it. You want to beat up the person who hurt them, but you know at the end of the day what matters is making sure they know that you’ll be there for them. We give advice along the way before things end. Sometimes they take it and sometimes they don’t, and then they have to learn from their decisions. Something you’ll never tell them is “Told You So,” because that’s not what matters and unnecessary.

10. “Wasabi”

Oh-oh, I love the way you talk about me / Oh-oh, look at how far it got me / Oh-oh, the shit the papers write about me / Oh-oh, I fold it up like origami / Oh-oh, like, “She ain’t wearing no clothes” / Oh-oh, “When she goin’ solo?” / Oh-oh, “I bet they gonna break up” / Oh-oh, but what the hell do you know?

Like I mentioned before, Little Mix gets criticized about everything they do, whether it’s their actions, how they look or what they wear. The girls have inspired me to not care what people think because of how they handle the haters. They make it loud and clear that they don’t care about all the negativity and all that noise. They love the fact that people can’t keep Little Mix out of their mouth.

11. “More Than Words” (ft. Kamille)

Oh, I need you more than words can say / Oh, you save me in ways that I can’t explain / Always been there for me, now I’ll do the same / Oh, I need you more than words can say

This is a song that can be interpreted in many different ways. Is it a love song? Is it a song about the amazing people in your life? Is it about your favorite pet? Who knows. One thing I do know is that it’s about the love you have for something and how there are no words to really sum up that feeling.

12. “Motivate”

The way that he touch me, no I can’t get enough / He keeping me up all night long / He motivates me / yeah, that’s my baby / He really hear me when my body talk

This is another sensual but sassy song. It’s basically shouting out your man for being your man. Someone asks you about your boyfriend? Play them this song. Do you want your man to know how you’re feeling? Play him this song. The beat will have you dancing, and the lyrics will have you singing. A perfect combo.

13. “Notice”

I don’t think you notice, I don’t think you care / I don’t think you notice / So, what’s the point of wearing / nothing if you never notice? / There’s sex in the air / I don’t think you notice / So, what’s the point of wearing nothing if you never notice?

You try your hardest to get someones attention, but for some reason, they don’t seem to notice. This song is for the person who’s tired of trying so hard and not getting the same results. Reciprocation is very important in any relationship, especially a romantic one.

14. “The Cure” & “The Cure (Stripped)”

I was a little bit lost, but I’m not anymore / I was a little bit hurt, but I’m not anymore / I was a little left out, but I’m not anymore / ‘Cause the tears fell down, but they don’t anymore / I was a little messed up, but I’m not anymore / I was a little locked out, but I’m not anymore / I was a little locked out, but I’m not anymore / I was a little far gone, but I’m not anymore / I was a little far gone, but I’m not anymore / Yeah, it’s alright now, baby, I got the cure

I have a lot of favorites on this album, and this one is definitely on the top of my list. It’s all about picking yourself up when you’ve been knocked down and bettering yourself. Sometimes when we’re in a tough spot, it’s hard to see a way out or even that things could possibly get better. Once we’re out of the mud, everything becomes crystal clear.

15. “Forget You Not”

Oh, I wish that we could chill like we used to do / Felt like there was no one in the room, except me and you / Now I’m passing people in the street, wishing they were you / Oh, baby, baby, I’ll forget you not

It’s hard to grasp when someone you spoke to every day and had so much history with can turn into a complete stranger. It’s hard to come to terms with something like that because they were a part of you. People say forgive and forget, but sometimes it’s hard to forget.

16. “Woman’s World”

If you never been told how you gotta be / What you gotta wear, how you gotta speak / If you never shouted to be heard / You ain’t lived in a woman’s world / And if you can’t see that it’s gonna change / Only want the body and not the brains / If you think that’s the way it works / You ain’t lived in a woman’s world, no

This is an anthem for not only women but those who are held back because their voices get drawn out. We live in a world that is constantly changing, but the way we treat women always needs improvement. Little Mix touches on the challenges a woman faces and how no one really knows what it’s like living in her world. They delivered this message with class and elegance.

17. “Only You” with Cheat Codes

Once upon a time we had it all / Somewhere down the line we went and lost it / One brick at a time we watched it fall / I’m broken here tonight and darling, no one else can fix me / Only you, only you / And no one else can fix me, only you / Only you, only you / And no one else can fix me, only you, oh

No matter how the relationship ended, sometimes, you still have love in your heart for the person. You’re crying out and pleading with them because you realize the mistake you made by walking away. A call for a want rather than a need.

Little Mix has truly outdone themselves. Not only are these girls powerhouses individually, together, but they’re also unstoppable. What they represent and stand for is extremely admiring. They don’t take any crap from anyone, and they’ll stand up for what they think is right. Don’t sleep on these ladies. 

Images: hero,1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lincy is a Senior at UCF majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She was born in Haiti, but raised in Florida. She loves spending most of her free time volunteering with children. If she's not volunteering, you can find her on Netflix watching her favorite shows -- Criminal Minds, Supernatural, or New Girl. If you want to keep up with what she's doing, follow her on her socials. 
UCF Contributor