Life, Love and the Pursuit of Something Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Vegetarianism and veganism are something that frequently cross my mind when I think “eat healthy.” The reasons behind becoming a vegetarian or vegan vary, however. Dietary choices, religion, and ones’ own beliefs are all factors in determining what type of diet you will choose. More recently I have noticed that Orlando has a very large vegetarian and vegan community. For whatever your reasoning may be for choosing your dietary choices, there’s one thing I know is certain: the food tastes marvelous!

Photo taken by: Sarah Hoffman

I have found that the goal with this type of cuisine is to get past the reputation of refined vegetarian and vegan food being bland or boring. With the rise of vegetarian- and vegan-friendly food choices, chefs have shifted a focus on using seasonal and sustainable produce and try to showcase and highlight it without the addition of meat.

It is rare to find restaurants that demonstrate the conscious effort to make sure to offer more exciting and innovative vegetarian/vegan-friendly options on their menus, but I have managed to find a couple of tasty eats that you will not want to miss out on.

Ethos – After taking a first glance at their menu, I knew it was safe to say that Ethos is definitely achieving diversity in their selection of 100 percent vegan food. The great thing about Ethos is that the menu selection seems to appeal to everyone despite their dietary choices. Their Samson Black Bean Burger, Coconut Curry Wrap, and Pumpkin Seed Pesto Penne Pasta are just a few of my go-to items whenever I’m looking for a bite to eat. Before you step out, do yourself a favor and try something off their dessert menu. I suggest the Chocolate Amaretto Mouse or their signature cake. Dont’ worry, these treats are gluten and sugar free. Spoil yourself! Located in downtown Winter Park, Ethos is also in a prime location to take a little stroll around town and walk off that delicious meal of yours.

Dandelion Communitea Cafe – If you’re a fan of live music, great hospitality, and an awesome menu selection, Dandelion is the place for you to go. From their witty titled starters such as the Machos Libre to their very literal Epic Grilled Cheese sandwich, their menu is bound to give something that will grab your attention. Rather than offering a normal happy hour, Dandelion differentiates themselves with their very own “Dandy Hour,” which goes on Monday through Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. providing you with $5 appetizers. Tea connoisseurs are welcomed to this Communitea with arms wide open as well. Dandelion’s tea bar supplies you with the option of brewing tea at the comfort of your own home with a selection of organic tea that includes black tea, green tea, oolong tea and white tea. This cafe’s mission is to save to world beginning with bettering ourselves. If you’re in between choosing the right diet, take a look at these 10 steps to help you on your Flexitarian Journey. 

Stardust – The feel of this place is something you will need to experience on your own. Whether you want to meet your friends for a couple of beers or take a quiet night in to relax and study for an exam, Stardust has got you covered. One of the neat things about Stardust is what is held right inside of their plaza every Monday. From 6 to10 p.m., their parking lot is tranformed into Audubon Park Community Market. Here you can find local vendors selling their crafts, produce, clothing and more. Aside from their weekly festivites, the food is great and their Sunday brunch specials are even better. You really can’t beat $8.50 for a meal and two sides. For those of you that can’t physically make it out to grub on some Nutella Pancakes, I encourage you to check out Vegan Pickled Beets for vegan-friendly recipes and more from the owners themselves.

Photo taken by: Sarah Hoffman

The Drunken Monkey – “A home away from home” is what I like to refer to this place as. The Drunken Monkey gives you a warm, welcoming feel as soon as you walk into the room. Living just a few blocks away from this humble abode, I was immediately intrigued when seeing the beverage and food selection being offered. Coconut water, organic green tea, sweet tea, Kombucha, you name it. I was particularly taken aback when I noticed the Anzac cookies that were being sold at the cash rep. From vegan breakfast burritos to spinach empanada dinner rolls, the Drunken Monkey has more than enough to calm your taste buds. If you’re having some trouble deciding what to order, this place offers you a plethora of books and board games to take your mind off of decision-making (until your stomach reminds you it’s time to eat, that is).

Are you interested in trying any of these locations out yourself? Check out our Twitter for more details! Don’t miss out on this awesome giveaway!

NOTE: Contest is only applicable to UCF students.

UCF Contributor