andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Let’s Take a Trip: 10 Dream Vacations Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Looking for a travel destination that will completely take your breath away—even if you can’t get there quite yet? Then go no further because I have 10 amazing dream places to travel abroad that will give you the feeling of wanderlust like you’ve never had before. 

1. Santorini, Greece 

It seems almost surreal to me that I actually visited this beautiful island in 2014, while on a Mediterranean Cruise. One of the two main towns Oia is exceptionally picturesque. Carved into a cliff, the buildings are colored white with blue domes, and look out at the vast blue ocean. Not only is the architecture amazing, the beaches and the sunset view from the abandoned Oia Castle, make this a perfect island destination.

2. Havana, Cuba 

The capital city of the country of Cuba, Havana transports visitors back into another time. The city center Plaza Vieja (known as Old Havana) is filled with vibrant buildings and residents driving in 50s style cars. Not only are you enriched with history and culture in this city, Havana is also home to various beaches that you can choose depending on your mood—whether that be to party, escape the crowds, or to be in the saltiest salt water. 

3. Magallanes Region, Chile 

For travelers with a love for rugged mountain ranges, this one is for you. This part of Chile is home to the Torres del Paine National Park, which holds one of the most remarkable landscapes in the world. The park seems to have it all—towering mountains, blue icebergs, and grasslands that house rare animals. Notable places within the park are Lake Pehoé, Grey Glacier, and Cordillera Paine. 

4. Koh Lanta, Thailand 

Another island destination, located in the Krabi Province on the coast of Thailand. Koh Lanta is made up of several islands, with the most popular being Koh Lanta Yai. Here we find a mix of nature reserves and stunning beaches with numerous things to do—diving, tanning and kayaking, amongst others. You can also grab a bite of some great seafood in the fishing villages around the islands. 

5. Positano, Italy 

Located in Italy’s breathtaking Amalfi Coast, I also had the pleasure of visiting this gorgeous location. Similar to Santorini, the village also is built into a cliff—but holds an entire different cultural experience. Pebble stoned streets filled with rich history, restaurants, and boutiques make travelers fall in love with Italy. The Amalfi Drive is recommended, in order to see all the beauty, the coast has to offer. You can also take boat tours to the Grotta dello Smeraldo, which has emerald green water. 

6. Provence, France 

In the southeast of France, not too far from the French Riviera, is Provence. You can experience many different types of landscapes all around this area—the Southern Alps, vineyards, and plains. But the town’s specialty is the various lavender fields that bloom from June to August. The sprawling fields are one of the most popular sights to see in the summer and the lavender grown is used to make soap, cosmetic products, and food—lavender sorbet? You can count me in. 

7. Chefchaouen, Morocco

I’m not exactly sure how to pronounce this one, but I still want to visit it. Known as the “blue pearl of Morocco”—this old town strikes with its brilliant blue buildings. This town is a Pinterest and Instagram favorite—due to the scenic photos it produces. Shopping is one of the biggest things to do here, with traditional shops and weaving workshops all around town. You can also eat at the Aladdin Restaurant—a charming place for Moroccan favorites (and Disney fans). 

8. Dubrovnik, Croatia 

For any Game of Thrones fans out there, you can visit King’s Landing for real with this travel destination. The Old Town is facing the Adriatic Sea, enclosed by immense stone walls from the 16th century. You can visit these ancient walls up close as well as explore the limestone paved streets of Old Town. In addition, there are some great winery tours and a GOT walking tour. 

9. Kyoto, Japan

The former capital of Japan holds to many sights to see. Filled with golden Buddhist temples, wooden castles, and plush gardens—you are surrounded by immense beauty. One of the biggest landmarks in Kyoto is Arashiyama, which contains bamboo forests. These massive stalks of bamboo enclose visitors in a breathtaking experience. You can also visit a monkey park and see Japanese macaque monkeys. 

10. Waitomo Caves, New Zealand 

The village of Waitomo is filled with underground caves that light up due to glow worms—yes, worms. These exceptional caves also feature waterfalls and limestone foundations. This location is super popular due to the large amount of caves, especially the cosmic Ruakuri Cave. There is also the Mangapohue Natural Bridge, which is a limestone arch that formed over the stream of Mangapohue. A lot of natural formations and wildlife make this destination unique. 

Who wants to book some flights? I honestly wish I could visit all of these places—but hopefully with lots of saving and some searches on Groupon, I might be able to make it work. I hope you added all of these destinations to your future travel list! 

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11

Peyton is in her junior year at UCF. She is a journalism major and a political science minor. She has always had a passion for writing and enjoys  being a UCF HerCampus team member. Go Knights! 
UCF Contributor