This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When I turn on the TV and search for my favorite shows, I am glad to sit back and enjoy the program however; I have noticed that only a few Latin women are gracing our screens. I notice only a handful of them who are LEADS of primetime TV…until now. It’s a few, however, it’s a start to a new change. Latin girls everywhere will stare at their TV screens and see a woman who represents them: their accents, hair, skin, personality, and especially their beauty. I am proud to list a few Latin women who are pushing the glass ceiling for this new age of primetime TV.

1.  Gina Rodriguez – Puerto Rican, beautiful, strong, and a voice to be heard is what sums up this woman. Portraying Jane Villanueva on the CW’s Jane the Virgin earned her an Emmy for Outstanding Female Lead in a comedy. Not only does she express her passion for the Latin population, but now on her Instagram feed, she is reaching out to promote other Latin actors, directors and others who are in the film industry called #MovementMondays. With the Oscars around the corner, it’s great to know she is still looking out for her people! Did I mention she also boxes?!

2. America FerreraUgly Betty was the first show I watched that portrayed a Latina lead, without being over the top and no stereotype needed which made her the FIRST LATINA EVER to win an Emmy. Her break out role may have been Real Woman Have Curves, but to finally hit ABC’s network was the start of her stardom. Although Ugly Betty is over, America is back with a new show on NBC, called Superstore. Relatable towards all employers and minorities, getting by. Not only does she pick great roles to play, but outside of acting she also created Take Fountain Production, which promotes Latin actors and actresses the opportunity to land roles. 

3. Eva Longoria – This Desperate Housewives star is back again with a new show on NBC, ironically right after Superstore, called Telenovela. Ugly Betty and Jane the Virgin were both recreated Spanish soap operas. Novelas are part of Latin culture, and what’s hysterical about Eva’s show is that it’s modernizing the script and yet still portraying it “dramatically” in a way that’s comedic. This is relatable for all Latin kids who had to endure watching Novelas with their abuelas after Church. 

4. Jennifer Lopez – Puerto Rican. Born and raised in the Bronx, New York, and now starring in two shows on two different networks and in Vegas performing her All I Have concerts, while having two kids…really? I think this is the first Latina EVER to be every chiquita’s role model growing up. Now again a judge for FOX’s American Idol’s last season, and starring in a very opposite role as a police enforcer in NBC’s drama Shades of Blue, it seems like there’s no limits stopping her and with good reason.

All of these women are power houses that deserved to be recognized! Maybe down the road we shall be embraced with more lead Latin women in movies and awards. Here’s to hope for the future! Salud!

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5

Hi my name is Amanda Osorio! I am a Junior at UCF, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Women's Studies! I love to read the True Blood series and eat Pei Wei's spicy Chicken Pad Thai while watching Game of Thrones, Scandal, Empire, Scrubs, American Horror Story and so much more! I call myself a nostalgic person since I should have been raised in the 1970's since I LOVE that era, from the fashion, movies, and music. My dreams will be complete with my purple flower record player and baby blue typewriter. A girl can dream with her eyes open <3 <3
UCF Contributor