Kendra Weaver: A Student’s Perspective on UCF Celebrates the Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Her Campus UCF (HCUCF): Tell me about yourself: what is your major, what year are you, where are you from and what made you decide to come to UCF?

Kendra Weaver (KW): Hello! My name is Kendra Weaver. I am a Senior radio-television production major and dance minor. I am from Clearwater, Florida and was raised in Pinellas County/Tampa Bay. I chose UCF because it felt right. The minute I stepped onto campus for my tour, there was in indescribable feeling of home away from home. I knew I wanted to spend the next four years in Orlando. The dance community here was a big factor for my decision. I am so glad I chose UCF; I’ll forever hold being a Knight in my heart.

HCUCF: How involved are you on campus and in the community?

KW: My involvement on campus has varied throughout my years, but I’ve made sure to always be a part of a few things. I think that’s what makes UCF stand out as a university; there is so much opportunity. If you take advantage of it, you can find out so much about yourself and learn far more than you can imagine. I’m currently a part of RUKUS Entertainment, I work two jobs on campus (SGA Ticket Center & CFE Arena), I have an internship at CBS Radio, and I am a choreographer/dancer in the UCF Dance program. I was once on Campus Activities Board and Knightcast. I studied abroad through the Nicholson School of Communication my third year. I volunteered and interned for the radio station on campus WUCF-FM.

HCUCF: Wow, that’s a lot! How difficult is it for you to balance everything in your life?

KW: I think it was hard for me at first to transition into my busy lifestyle at the start of this past year. I took on a lot, but at the same time everything I was involved in I am extremely passionate about so it did not feel like work. When your heart isn’t in something you find an excuse. I persevered because I loved what I was doing. I think my senior year at UCF has been the best year of my life, and I have RUKUS to thank for a huge part of that. I don’t always get enough sleep. I’m either at work or the dance studio. I’ve been sick more times this year than ever and my social life isn’t always the best…but the more I get to pursue my goals makes all the sacrifice worth it. The key to finding balance is knowing when to say no to things, making time for yourself, and getting plenty of rest when you can.

HCUCF: Why did you decide to pursue a dance minor?

KW: I decided to pursue the dance minor at a very pivotal moment my sophomore year here at UCF. I wasn’t feeling myself and was not happy with how my academic schedule was going so I turned back to the only thing I have ever known – dance. Auditioning for the minor gave me self-confidence and renewed my love for dancing. I am able to say I went to school to study my true passion. The knowledge and opportunities that have come with it make me feel very blessed.

HCUCF: How do you plan to blend your major with your minor?

KW: I think what makes my major and minor work so well together is that they both come from a very creative mindset. I can incorporate skills I have learned in audio production to produce music I want to dance to, or utilize the camera to film a concept video. It’s always better to be versatile in this industry, so to study more than one thing is a good idea.

HCUCF: What was your experience preparing for UCF Celebrates the Arts Dance Concert, considering all you are involved in?

KW: My experience with UCF Celebrates the Arts was a good challenge to me personally. I always loved choreography but never felt like I could be the one choreographing for something as big as the Walt Disney Theatre that seats almost 3,000 people. It pushed me to create something I am proud of and share my artistry with the community. I can’t put into words how I felt that night.

HCUCF: How important is it to you that communities continue to celebrate the arts?

KW: It is SO important that communities continue to celebrate the arts. I was so happy to hear about this festival because I believe the arts need a heavy presence especially among young adults. Freedom of self-expression is necessary for a healthy state of mind. Plus, without creativity and the platforms to showcase talents, the world would be a lot duller, wouldn’t it?

HCUCF: What are a few of your favorite things about dancing?

KW: My favorite thing about dance is that there is nothing else in this world that brings me the same feeling. I’ve been doing this for almost 18 years and it’s as if I fall in love with it over and over again every day. This art challenges me. It is self-discovery. It is a relationship.

HCUCF: What are some things you will miss about UCF?

KW: Whew, this is a tough one. I’m going to miss having everyone I care about within driving distance. I’m going to miss walking this beautiful campus by myself to just think about life. The education I was privileged to receive. The friends I’ve met. The experiences I’ve had. Having my family’s support throughout this entire four-year process. Thank you for everything. You know who you are.

HCUCF: What are your plans after graduation?

KW: After graduation I first plan to celebrate with family and friends. My sister is flying to America from Ireland to see me walk. She goes to graduate school and lives there, so it will be nice to spend some time with her. We don’t get to see each other more than once (or twice) a year. I’ll then be back in Orlando for summer working and applying for jobs. I’ll also keep auditioning and I’ll be dancing of course!

HCUCF: Is there anything else you’d like to say?

KW: Remember to laugh at yourself and never take life too seriously. It’s more fun that way. “To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.” One piece of advice for those beginning their journey in college: if it scares you, it’s probably worth pursuing. The most meaningful experiences have come from ones that took a huge leap of faith on my end. Fear can be a good thing. You are strong enough to push past it and see how beautiful it can be on the other side. Do not ever be afraid to go after what sets your soul on fire. Please…. Kendricka, out. (laughts at a RUKUS inside joke.)

Images: 1, 2 & 3 are courtesy of Kendra Weaver. Image 1 is credited to Randall Collins. Image 4 is by Tony Firriolo, courtesy of UCF School of Performing Arts. Images 2, 3 & 4 were taken at the UCF Celebrates the Arts Dance Concert on April 8, 2016.

Darin Kela is a junior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring Advertising & Public Relations and has a minor in Dance. She is a huge fan of Zendaya, and is obsessed with natural hair. She enjoys listening to R&B music and silently choreographing to every song that plays through her earphones. When she's not in class or hanging out with RUKUS Entertainment on campus, you can catch her re-watching A Different World on Netflix or her favorite beauty tutorials on Youtube. Follow Darin's journey on Instagram & Twitter.
UCF Contributor