Girls are raised with the mentality that Prince Charming is going to ride up to their doorstep and take them dancing in the moonlight, take them to dinner by the river, and fly them to Paris for dessert. With all of those magical and romantic outings, it is easy to keep that romantic spark in a relationship burning, but what if you’re in college and your boyfriend doesn’t have a private jet or money to spend on a fancy dinner? How do you keep the spark alive and not get bored? College is a hectic time for relationships because, for the most part, both of you are either working, doing something school related or simply tired. I can tell you that it is possible; it may not be easy, but it can be done.
1. Go On Dates: Guys, we understand that everyone in college is on a budget, and that’s fine. We don’t expect diamond bracelets or a pair of Jimmy Choo’s; we just want to know that you care. Go out on dates and be creative. Make a date night once a month when you both know that your schedule is cleared up, and go to watch a movie in the park in Winter Park or have a picnic near Lake Eola. It’s inexpensive and fun.
2. "Us Time": Friend time is not "us time." Set time aside to just hang out with each other to talk about what is new and how school is going. Talking is the best way to get to know another person. Don’t always hang out with the group because you never truly focus on the person that you are with, you are more engaged on what your friends are doing. Yes, you may miss out on your daily "bro time" or "girl time," but in the end it will all be worth it.
3. Surprises: Who doesn’t love surprises? This may come with a dollar amount, but it never has to break the bank. If a girl says she doesn’t want flowers, she is lying. Showing up with flowers at someone’s doorstep is a great surprise and a wonderful way to show how much you care for someone. Instead of making ramen noodles and eating by yourself, cook a nice meal and invite him over for dinner when he doesn’t expect it. Surprises go a long way.
4. Don’t Fall Asleep Without A Kiss Goodnight: As cheesy as it sounds, it’s very true. In the wise words of Taylor Swift, “I read you should never leave a fight unresolved.” Giving each other a kiss goodnight means that their are no problems and everything in the relationship is going great. If you guys have a fight, then you probably won’t even want to look at each other, but making sure you have that kiss before bed will make you want to solve all of the issues. Solving your problems before bed will make waking up a whole lot nicer.
5. Support Each Other: As boring as it may be to sit in on his 20th intramural flag football game, you should still go. It is always nice to have someone in the stands cheering you on. Boys, even though you may hate looking at her latest blog post or marketing assignment, it’s nice to have someone look at and appreciate your hard work. You guys should be each other’s biggest fans and strongest support system.