This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’ve always been an animal lover, and whether the animal was covered in fur or scales didn’t matter—it was cute either way in my book. It wasn’t until I got older though that I began to realize not everyone had this unconditional and immediate love for every animal—more specifically, cats. I seriously couldn’t believe just how immense the hatred for them was until I began talking amongst my friends and finding out the many reasons they had for disliking them in the first place. 

Common Misconceptions

What I learned whilst talking to my friends and family was that many of them assumed that all cats were aggressive and unsociable because of a prior experience they’d had with a cat. Much like people, you can’t judge the group for an individual’s actions. Yes, there are cats out there on the meaner side, but this is not a trait all cats are predisposed to. In fact, most cats actually do love affection—but unlike most dogs, you can’t expect it from them right off the bat.

What Cats Are Really Like

After fostering kittens for a few months and eventually getting a cat of my own, I’ve learned that cats are very individualistic animals that want their trust to be earned, rather than expected. You can earn a cat’s trust simply by caring for it, allowing it some space and keeping it entertained with toys. Once you’ve earned the trust of a cat, you can expect to have a loyal companion that’ll follow you around the house, sit beside you (or on your laptop) while you study and cozy up beside you at night. 

Who Are Cats Right For?

If you’ve finally moved out of your dorm but are still burdened by work or classes and still seriously want a pet that doesn’t require too much TLC, then consider getting a cat. For one, they don’t mind some alone time, and secondly, they never need to go on walks (the litter box will be a bummer though). Cats truly don’t need a lot of attention, and won’t bother you (too much) on those late night study sessions. So, if you’re looking for a low maintenance companion that doesn’t mind hanging out while you do your thing, then look no further. 

If you do consider adopting a cat, remember that each one is different and may not be a match for you. Most shelters actually allow you to play with the cat in a separate room so consider trying that out before rushing to fill out any paperwork.

Many people view cats in the eyes of how the media has portrayed them, and as a result, attach certain stigmas to them as well. Based on my own experiences, I know not every cat to be aggressive, in the same way that not all dogs are seen as aggressive. Cats just require somebody who’s willing to work to earn their trustlove and lifelong companionship.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Amanda Acosta is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida studying hospitality management, legal studies, and environmental tourism. When she isn't running around the Disney parks, you can find her drinking way too much coffee at the local Starbucks. Amanda's a dedicated Delta Zeta sister with an adventurous spirit and a passion to live her life to the fullest. When it comes down to it, there's nothing more she loves than her family, friends, and fellow UCF Knights! Follow what she's doing now on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest.
UCF Contributor