galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s okay to be you. That’s something that I’m equally learning and already comfortable with. At 21, I have a strong sense of who I am. But at a very really level, there are so many things I’m uncertain about. This is perfectly normal. We’re taught to have it all figured out so young; when you don’t, it’s scary and the world feels uncomfortable. 

Here’s what I AM certain about: 

1. I have been strong my entire life, and I will continue that pattern forever

2. Working with makeup has been in my cards since I was little

3. People will still love me, tattoos and all

4. No one has the power to tell me who I can or can’t be 

5. I hate asking for help, but I will do it if necessary 

6. I always fight for what I believe in

A post shared by Jenna White (@alltimejenna) on

While that list might appear small, it’s meaningful. There have been times when I’ve thought the opposite of those things, or were told that some of the things that make me who I am aren’t good enough. I’ve finally solidified it in my head that it’s perfectly okay to be me. It will be perfectly fine to have children and be tattooed, because my kids will love me no matter what. It’s okay to want to spend my life playing around with makeup, because makeup makes me happy. It is okay to go out with friends and party if I enjoy it. It’s all going to be okay. 

I’ve always been a strong person — everyone in my family can attest to that. I don’t take shit from anyone and I always stand up for what is right. There have been so many times in my life that I haven’t let myself be as strong as I should’ve, and that’s okay. I’ve learned my lessons and I’ve grown from it all. The older I get, the more I understand that being strong is exactly how I should be. 

It took a lot of growth for me to get to where I am with myself and it’s something I’m very proud of. This article came from a time in which I needed to learn that it really is okay to just be me, quirks and all. Sometimes the hardest moments in our lives lead us to learn the most valuable lessons. As someone who believes that the Universe guides our lives, I’m learning to just let go and allow the Universe to do exactly that. 

Jenna is currently a Senior at the University of Central Florida majoring in Legal Studies. When she isn't reading the most current political update, she's watching the newest crime doc on Netflix or watching skincare videos on Youtube. Her greatest dream is to spend the rest of her life playing around with makeup.
UCF Contributor