Interview Wear 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Summer is just around the corner and along with those rejuvenating days at the beach and those wonderful summer flings there is one important thing that, as much as we would like to, we can’t forget about – summer and fall internships. If you’ve already landed your summer internship, then props to you for being on schedule. But while you may have your summer internship lined up, it’s never too early to start thinking about one for fall. Or if you haven’t started interviewing for summer, then now is the time to definitely start sending out your resume. But just landing an interview won’t get you the job alone. You have to sell yourself to the hiring manager by showing them that you are going to fit in great with their company. And one of the ways to do this is by dressing for success. So here is your ultimate guide on what to wear for your interview that will make them remember you – if not by your personality then definitely by your style.

Pencil Skirt: A good pencil skirt is essential to adult life; from internships to job interviews to class presentations, a pencil skirt is always appropriate. When wearing one to an interview, keep it classy. While Forever 21 sells affordable long skirts, they are made of an unflattering, clingy spandex material. Splurging for a skirt from White House/Black Market is a good alternative where you can find something professional and flattering.

Slacks: When you’re buying a pair of neutral color slacks, make sure they fit right. Nothing looks worse than a well put together outfit with slacks that are baggy or too short. You want them to be straight legged, stopping just mid heel. When you go in to buy them, bring a pair of heels with you so you can see how they will look with your dress shoes.

Blazer: A blazer is optional but does help you to appear more professional in a workplace setting where the men will be wearing blazers as well. This is something that you don’t want to buy cheap. If you spend the extra dollars, it will have better quality material. A blazer is something you can wear with any outfit, so you will definitely get use of it after the interview. Try going to Macy’s or H&M and see what you like!

Blouse: While sheer tops seem to be all the rage, don’t wear it to the interview unless it’s lined. Stick with the staples; now is not the time to try out the latest fashion statement. And you don’t want a blouse that has gaping buttons that become an eye sore. Lastly, find a blouse that is at least three fingers wide on the shoulder. Interviewers want you to look professional, and something about showing off your skin on the first interview doesn’t scream respectable. 

Jewelry: Most interview clothes are pictured as bleak or boring. But one way to break through is by adding a touch of your own unique taste through your choice of jewelry. This is your chance where you can add a touch of color, like a chunky gold necklace or chandelier earrings. But remember – don’t make it too much of a distraction to the point where the interviewer starts paying more attention to the accessories than to you.

Shoes: For an interview, you shouldn’t wear anything patent leather, and choose some close-toed shoes like high heels. Be careful about the height because, while it is nice to appear statuesque, it will look bad on you if you walk like a zombie. Also, try and stay away from bright colors and lean more toward neutral colors that will go with many outfits, so if you land the job you can wear them again! 

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler