An Interview With the Man Behind the Meme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you attended the UCF home game against FAU on September 21st, you know two things: UCF is still undefeated, and we have a new meme on campus (and maybe a mascot…don’t tell Knightro).

The night started off like any other with the bounce house jumping, the players making phenomenal plays, and the refs making ridiculous calls. The stands were shaking from the sound of our feet, and the energy in the Spectrum Stadium could be felt miles away. Towards the end of the night, however, someone else stole the show on the big screen. The face that made us smile even though he wasn’t. Who is this mystery man you ask? Meet the man behind the face.

Q: What’s your name, age, and year at UCF?

A: My names Anthony Allan, I’m 18, and it’s my freshmen year here at UCF.

Q: What are you studying?

A: I’m currently studying Civil Engineering.

Q: Are you involved with any clubs on campus?

A: I’m not involved with any clubs, but hopefully I’ll join some soon to get to know some more people around campus.

Q: How did you decide on UCF?

A: The academics and the engineering program here are what really drove me to join the school, the beautiful campus and amazing football team were also big factors in the decision.

Q: Favorite thing about UCF?

A: My favorite thing about UCF has to be the student body and their enthusiasm and support for the athletics.

Q: Have you attended the football games before? If so, how many before this one.

A: Before Friday’s game against FAU, I went to the home game against SC State, and that was my first UCF game. I’m glad we got great results for both of them.

Q: What were your expectations going into Friday nights game?

A: My expectations for Friday night were to go have fun with my friends watching our National Champions add another win to their streak, and I had no doubt they would be met.

Q: What would you call the face you made?

A: I really have no clue, I was just kind of staring at the camera.

Q: How do you think would win in a staring contest? You or Kanye?

A: To be fair, when the camera panned off of me I was closing my eyes and trying to get as many blinks in as I could, but if the occasion ever arose where I got to meet Kanye, I would love to give it a try.

Q: How does it feel to be labeled “GOAT” and “Legend’?

A: It’s just a surreal experience, I’m just an 18-year-old kid trying to make his way to a degree.

Q: How will you one-up the next home game?

A: My friends and I have something planned, you’ll just have to show up to support the National Champions to see.

Q: Are you giving out autographs?

A: I haven’t been asked for any autographs, but I’ve been asked for loads of pictures.

Q: Did you expect your face to be this talked about?

A: I had no expectation in going this big, I was astonished when I won Fan of the Game. Everything else that’s happened so far has just been unbelievable.

Q: Have you told your parents about this? What was their reaction?

A: I have actually, I was texting my mom after I won Fan of the Game telling her I was on the screen and won fan of the game, then Saturday she woke up to me sending her texts telling her I was on ESPN and UCF’s Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Both my mom and my dad think it’s the funniest thing ever.

Q: How will you handle this newfound fame?

A: I just try to act normal, if that makes sense. People come up to me and ask for pictures and that stuff and I gladly stare blankly into their cameras.

Q: Where can the fans find you at the games?

A: I’ll most likely be found in the same spot I sat at for the past two games, surrounded by my friends supporting one of the best teams in college football.

Kanye has nothing on him for sure. To keep up with what Anthony will do next, follow him on Instagram and Twitter to get the scoop. We can’t wait to see you guys at Saturday nights game. I wonder what he’s going to do next…

Images: 2,3, all other images courtesy of Dereck Mateo 

Lincy is a Senior at UCF majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She was born in Haiti, but raised in Florida. She loves spending most of her free time volunteering with children. If she's not volunteering, you can find her on Netflix watching her favorite shows -- Criminal Minds, Supernatural, or New Girl. If you want to keep up with what she's doing, follow her on her socials. 
UCF Contributor