Inspiration: The Artist That Every Girl Needs on Her iPod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Have you ever stumbled upon a song that spoke to you? Not just any song that you liked, but one that resonated with your heart? I remember experiencing this my freshman year of high school, when I listened to my first song by Mary J. Blige. My mother had introduced her to me, explaining how her music was inspiring through hard times. She stands today as a personal favorite, and I believe that every woman should listen to her.

Empowering and inspirational, Mary J. Blige relates to women everywhere. She preaches about inner strength, self-respect, love, and learning from the negativity in life. Whether you’re down and out or feeling glamorous, she has it all. Sean Combs (P. Diddy) says, “Her voice is Visual; you can see what she’s saying.”

“In each tear, there’s a lesson. Makes you wiser than before, makes you stronger than you know.”

Mary J. Blige’s music is so empowering because she’s been there. She’s not the “bubble-gum” girl; she’s real. She’s faced adversity in her life and turned it into something positive, and now encourages other women to do the same. Born in The Bronx, New York, Blige had a rough childhood. After her father left, she moved with her mother and sister to the projects in Yonkers, New York. In her VH1 Behind the Music interview, she claims she saw women being abused every day. She was discovered and signed to a record label at the age of 18. Since then she has dealt with toxic relationships, overcame addiction, and confronted childhood demons. She is now happily married and continues recording music.

Blige has received nine Grammy Awards, four American Music Awards, and recorded eight multi-platinum records. Music isn’t her only activity though. She supports various charities, including Stand Up To Cancer, American Foundation for AIDS Research, Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City, and United Service Organization. She is also the co-founder for the Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now (FFAWN). Through scholarships, grants, and programs that foster strong self-esteem, career development, and personal growth, FFAWN’s mission is empowering all women to reach their full potential.

Addition to Your iPod
Below are just a handful of songs by this incredible artist. Next to them are brief messages that each song gives. Be sure to look up the song/lyrics. I promise you will love them! Every collegiate can relate to her.
1.      Work That – Confidence In Yourself
2.      Enough Cryin’ –Break Up Song
3.      Just Fine – Feeling Hot And Ready To Live Life
4.      Hurt Again – I Like You But I’m Scared To Get Hurt Again
5.      No More Drama – Letting Go Of The Past And Moving Forward
6.      Rainy Dayz – Reflecting On Sadness
7.      Each Tear – Growth From Negativity
8.      Stay Down – Making Up After A Fight
9.      I’m Going Down – I Miss You
10.  Reflections – Reflecting On Lessons Learned

“Get your runway stride honed and keep it going. Girl, live your life.”