This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As Roger Murtaugh once said, “I’m too old for this…” And now I get it.  

About 2 years ago I entered college ready to have the time of my life (and still get an education, of course, yes Mom and Dad).  Those days I was out late and sleeping on the floors of friend’s dorms.  The thought of doing that right now sounds so much less than pleasant.  It only took me 2 years of the loud, sweaty, sticky, smelly hell that is Pub and Library to make me realize, I am too old for this.

Part of this realization has made me a bit sad.  I should really be spending my 20’s going out and enjoying the night scene like you see your favorites do in the movies, but all so fast I realize that I much rather sit in the comfort of my quiet home, put in a movie, pour myself a cup of tea (or wine) and just relax.  And once you start spending your weekends the relaxed route, it’s hard to go back, and it starts to change everything.  In the midst of me realizing that I would much rather spend my weekends in, my eyes were opened up to what my closet had become.  A sea of club-wear, high waisted shorts, crop tops, and a pair of designated “bar shoes” that are coated in probably all kinds of cheap alcohol which have sadly never been washed.  This is what I had become and I was a bit shocked.  I realized this isn’t how I exactly imagined being an adult.  I can’t buy crop tops and cheap shoes from Forever 21 for forever!  So I packed most of it up into a white trash bag, and took the bag of freshman memories and delivered it to the nearest Goodwill.  

Now before you begin to tell me “oh you still go out” or “you’re too young, you have plenty of time before you really get too old for this,” I fully acknowledge that I got tired of going out a bit earlier than most.  But maybe in reality, it was me realizing it just wasn’t my weekend choice in the first place.  Either way, I’ll be here watching How I Met Your Mother with some tea while I learn to embroider, and you do whatever makes you happy.  

Grace Burns is a 3rd year Senior at the University of Central Florida pursing her degree in Visual Art-Emerging Media Management.  When not home writing, going through photos of her dogs back home, or hanging out with her roommates, you can find her hitting the farmers market, or finding perfect spots to document for her Instagram. Grace one day hopes to use her studies in Emerging Media and her experience in writing with Her Campus to pursue a career in social networking related to branding or fashion journalism.  
UCF Contributor