ICYMI: The Girlies Love An “Everything Shower” & Here’s What You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Embodying the clean girl aesthetic starts with us and the way we care for ourselves. In case you missed it, the girlies are stepping up their self-care game by taking their time to develop an intricate everything shower routine.

Here’s everything you need to incorporate into your next everything shower along with some products to add to your next cart.

The pre-shower hair oils

Oh, so you thought all shower festivities only take place inside the shower? Boy do we have so much to cover, including the first step that’s taken before the shower is even a thought: hair oils.

Vogue India‘s article, “The best way to oil your hair to get the most out of the soothing ritual,” gives us the 411 on just how vital these are. Here’s the scoop: leave the oil in your hair for two to three hours, and the steam from your everything shower? That’s your new best friend that will allow the oil to fully absorb!

So before the shower is even a thought, start up the hair oils and let it sit for a few hours as you do other tasks around the house or relax. Massaging the oils into your scalp does a great job of setting the tone for your self-care time.

Don’t know where to start? Here are some of my favorites:

• OGX Beauty’s Renewing+ Argan Oil of Morocco: If OGX has 100 fans, I’m one of them; if they have 10 fans, I’m one of them; and if they have no fans, I’m dead. Any of OGX Beauty’s renewing hair products with Argan Oil have a gold star from me and the progress I’ve made with my hair! Note: These are friendly to all hair types!

Healthline does a great job at breaking down what oil will be the best for you, but I read it so you don’t have to (You’re welcome). Coconut oil is a great choice for natural protection and a deep condition on most hair types, whereas sesame oil can reduce frizz and prevent split ends (I know what I’m adding to my cart). As almond oil has biotin in it, this is a need if you want to work on boosting your hair growth. Lastly, my beloved argan oil helps strengthen and condition your hair from root to tip.

Let’s move on to inside the shower.

the “shower” in “Everything Shower”

After your hair oils have sat for two to three hours, it’s time to put the “shower” in “everything shower.” According to Dermguru on Tik Tok, there is a correct order in which you should be having your everything shower festivities and it starts with washing your hair.

The hair wash

If you’re like me, you shampoo and rinse immediately and then allow your conditioner to sit for the remainder of your shower. Dermguru taught me that we’ve all been doing it wrong. If you let your conditioner sit as I do, you’re making yourself susceptible to the conditioner getting on your skin, clogging your pores, and leaving you with back/chest acne. So wash, rinse, and repeat before moving on.

Surprise, surprise, my go-to’s for both shampoo and conditioner are no other than OGX Beauty’s Renewing+ Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner. Try it for yourself to learn what all the hype is about.

Walmart

Exfoliation

If you don’t believe me, take it from Dove: exfoliation before shaving is a necessity to help buff and prepare your skin. Trust once you start, you won’t ever go back!

For my sensitive skin girlies, or the folks that like something simple and smooth: Dove’s very own Crushed Macadamia & Rice Milk Moderate Exfoliating Body Polish will do just the trick.

My personal favorite though, is anything from Tree Hut. This month’s obsession has been the limited edition Birthday Cake Shea Butter Scrub that helps me channel my inner vanilla girl.

Shave

Now that our skin is prepped and ready, you’re all ready to commence your shaving session. I have two simple words for you: men’s razor. Case closed.

wash yo’ body

The last thing you should be doing is washing your body, to make sure your skin is clean from all prior products.

If you’re looking for a cheaper body wash that smells good, let me tell you about St. Ives. They have such a fun range to pick between, starting at only $3.99, which is always music to my ears.

Oh, my favorite? You don’t have to ask me twice; it’s the Oatmeal and Shea Butter Soothing Body Wash.

Once you’re clean and ready to hop out, it’s time for the post-shower tasks to commence.

post-shower essentials

Is it really an everything shower if you don’t end off with an extensive skincare routine?

According to dermatologist Ashley Magovern M.D. to Good Housekeping, the most effective steps you need to incorporate in your skincare routine are to cleanse, treat, and then moisturize your skin (don’t forget your SPF).

Cleansing your skin

Good Housekeeping advises a sulfate and soap-free cleanser that cleanses your skin without stripping it of its natural oils.

I owe all of my success to CeraVe’s Hydrating Facial Cleanser which does exactly what it says by adding extra moisture to the skin with its inclusion of hyaluronic acid and essential ceramides.

CeraVe CTFCleanser FRONT US 12oz
CeraVe

Treating your skin

After reading The Best Daily Skincare Routine, according to dermatologists, treating skin in between cleaning and moisturizing is a long-term investment that defines how your skin ages. They expressed that this involves using serums tailored to your skin type is the key. Refer to the article to discover what types of serums are best for your skin type.

As a dry-skin girlie, I live and breathe for the Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 and always use it when it’s time to whip out my gua sha.

the ordinary serum
Sephora

Moisturizing your skin

And last, but never least: moisturizing your skin. This is my favorite part; when it’s time to hydrate and soften my skin.

Surprise, surprise, my go-to is another product from CeraVe. My skin absolutely loves the Deep Hydration Moisturizing Cream formulated for long-lasting hydration for your skin barrier.

cerave body
Walmart

After brushing my teeth and applying lotion to the rest of my body, my everything shower is successfully complete. Clean girl vibes: achieved.

Abbi Donaldson is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UCF who covers all things wellness and pop culture. She is a senior at the University of Central Florida with a major in Advertising & Public Relations with a minor in Mass Culture and Collective Behavior. Abbi loves all things campaign marketing and brand strategy related. You can typically find Abbi at the gym, a music festival or binging a YA romance novel.