Icon of the Week: Françoise Hardy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Fashion icons come from all over the world. Some are able to reach international fame while others remain exclusive to their countries of origin. No matter what cultural background they come from, fashion icons leave a mark in the industry that remains forever, regardless of what decade or profession they work in. From artists to musicians, actresses to comedians, the world of fashion extends beyond models and designers. While this is the case, icons are known to merge their given talent with a higher artistic form of self expression. No other person is able to successfully do this as casually cool and beautifully as Françoise Hardy.

Born and raised in Paris on January 17, 1944, little Françoise was known to be an introvert, modest, and awkward to many. Little did she know, these would be the most cherished features in her coming years. She attended a strict all-girls school and spent her free time listening to French Pop on the radio, writing her own songs about love and loneliness. Upon graduation, she received a surprise visit from her distant father and the key to her career: a guitar. Her hobby became a whole-hearted passion, leading her to Le Petit Conservatoire de la Chanson, a prestigious school for singers where she devoted her time to voice lessons.

Now fast forward to 1961 where her career really began to take off after being signed with the Vogue label. Tous les Garçons et les Filles was released as her first single and instantly became a huge hit. Her song and image captured the interest of television stars, film makers, and photographers, one of which being Jean-Marie Perier who transformed her awkward beauty into a more sophisticated and alluring beauty. Her iconic image was spread on all of the latest magazines and imitated by everyone, initiating the French “Yé-Yé” movement (literally translating to ‘Yeah, yeah!’). Characterized by catchy songs, super-pop, innocent girls in mini-skirts, and soft vocals, Yé -Yé spread worldwide and escalated American Mod fashion.

In all of her most active years, she remained an original and versatile fashion icon worldwide. Her contributions to French Pop and decades as a fashion model created a culture of charming, stylish and powerful women who remained humble yet tastefully seductive. Her ultra-mod yet modestly cool looks are replicated today through structured and soft pieces, the occasional unconventional fabric in the form of a simple design, and a bold cat-eye. Just look around and you’ll see a little more of Françoise in today’s fashion industry!