I Stuck With my New Year’s Resolution and This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Usually, my New Year’s resolutions are completely ill-founded, solely because I know from the time I claim them that I will not stick to them. One year, I told myself that I was going to work out more… I think I worked out all of 7 times that year. This year, I took a completely different approach to the entire concept of a New Year’s resolution, and it’s been working for me so far.

On December 16, 2015, I decided my goal was to become my own goals. I remember the date because I tweeted it, screenshot it, and promptly posted it to my Instagram. (After all, if you don’t post pictures, did it really happen?) I had long before realized that I am constantly inspired by the people I am close with and those I follow on social media. I was inspired to just go for things and not be afraid of what might happen. I convinced myself to stop being scared, to focus on my personal growth and just give myself the opportunity to succeed.

There’s only been about 4 months this year, but my life is already on a much more positive note. My growth from last year to this year has been tremendous. I’m honestly so proud of myself for just being and loving who I am, and it only gets better as time passes. I’ve gained confidence and resilience that I could have only dreamed of last year. I’ve begun to take more risks – not like skydiving, but in other ways. I’ve joined two new organizations this semester, and as a result have many new amazing relationships. I’ve joined Rukus Entertainment and began writing for Her Campus, both organizations which I have quickly grown to love. I feel myself becoming happier with my life with every passing day.

Now, please don’t misunderstand. I am content with the universe and the general direction of my life, but that does not mean that “being my own goals” has completely gone my way. My major here at UCF is limited access, which means I have to apply and be accepted. Unfortunately, I was denied this semester, when I would love for it to be a different story. However, my way of thinking has changed so much, that it did not keep me down for long. I have made up my mind to reapply as soon as I can, and I am okay with having to go through the entire process again. It’s okay with me; I’m learning to take things as they come. I can only give 100% effort, and as long as I’ve done that, I’m alright.

I hope that I can keep this up for the rest of the year. I’m thoroughly enjoying my growth in my personal life as well as in my schoolwork, writing and dancing. My goal was something that I had not anticipated really sticking with, but I’m so proud of myself for doing that. I cannot imagine how different my life could be if I didn’t continuously just push myself. I can only imagine what other people feel when they actually stick to their workout goals, or try those dishes they were pinning the year before, or go back to school, or whatever goals they may have claimed. There’s a very special sense of personal achievement that should not be taken for granted. There is a reason that everyone has different New Year’s goals: we each have different lives and years to experience. I’m just glad that I finally know what it feels like.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

Darin Kela is a junior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring Advertising & Public Relations and has a minor in Dance. She is a huge fan of Zendaya, and is obsessed with natural hair. She enjoys listening to R&B music and silently choreographing to every song that plays through her earphones. When she's not in class or hanging out with RUKUS Entertainment on campus, you can catch her re-watching A Different World on Netflix or her favorite beauty tutorials on Youtube. Follow Darin's journey on Instagram & Twitter.
UCF Contributor