I’m Sorry I Cried Over The Election Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’m sorry I cried over the election results

I’m sorry I cried while reading my LBTQ+ friends’ devastating social media posts about not being able to love who they love.

I’m sorry I cried because my Spanish last name is now going to define me as a person more than it already has.

I’m sorry I cried because not all Trump supporters are bad, but this election win gives the supremacist supporters validation to spread their hatred views onto the youth. This ruins all the progress that has already been made.

I’m sorry I cried because I am just a woman with crazy emotions, right? Is this why my own reproductive rights are going to be taken away from me because men believe that woman are not worthy enough to have rights to their own bodies?

I’m sorry I cried because as a woman, I won’t be taken seriously as I enter the work force and will be judged solely on my looks.

I’m sorry I cried because I’m just a millennial, what do I know about politics? Is that why the hours I spent researching the candidates rather than doing my homework is now worthless.

I’m sorry I cried because sexual assault victims now get to see an accused rapist in the white house.

I’m sorry I cried because American women must now worry about sexual assault even more than they already do because it will be justified as “boys will be boys.”

I’m sorry I cried so much that I didn’t make it to class this morning because I could not find the urge to get out of bed.

I’m not sorry that I will not be crying tomorrow because I know that love trumps hate. Although I am terrified that this presidency will give the validation to people like him that their actions are ok, I am not afraid. There was still a sunrise this morning, wasn’t there? As Hillary Clinton has stated, “We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead.” Although this is not an ideal situation for many Americans, this country will still continue to prosper. Instead of making jokes about moving to Canada, we should reassure our neighbors that we will all be just fine and dandy. Donald Trump is a problem solver and he knows how to get himself out of situations. I am choosing to not give up in hopes that he will prove us all wrong. 

Image 1

Nicole is a sophomore at UCF studying Entertainment Management (her Hogwarts letter unfortunately never arrived). When she is not at Chick-fil-a or Chipotle, you can find her gossiping to her friends about all of the latest celeb drama. This concert enthusiast can also be found in the very front of every concert, because front row is the only way to go. Her favorite color is Niall Horan's eyes and her worst fear is Harry Styles cutting his hair (update: the lucious locks have been cut and Nicole is currently in hiding). Her secret husband Justin Bieber would describe her as a fun, cat loving soul, who loves adventure a little too much. 
UCF Contributor