How to Write an Engaging Fundraising Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’m not really a flashy person and I usually shy away from any attention on myself; however, in this instance, I am willing to do a little humble bragging. Not to sound cocky, but I’ve definitely been complimented on my excellent construction of Knight-Thon fundraising statuses on Facebook. Because I am pretty good at writing current, eye-catching fundraising posts, I thought I would extend my expertise to people who also want to raise money for any great cause of their choice!

Whether you are fundraising for Knight-Thon, UCF’s Dance Marathon, Relay for Life or any other charitable organization, my advice and steps can be applicable and helpful to any cause you are creating awareness and collecting donations for.

Step One: BE RELEVANT.

One of the biggest insults to say about someone or something is to call them irrelevant, and this comes into play when writing compelling fundraising statuses on social media. To combat this, make sure your post is current with what is going on in the world. As a pop-culture junkie, my favorite thing is to incorporate celebrity news and try to make a connection between them and the cause I am supporting currently, which in this case, is Knight-Thon. If pop-culture isn’t your style, you could include a holiday, days of the week hashtags, recent facts, statistics and information concerning your cause. Maybe discuss a breaking study that has to do with the charitable society you support. Tailor it to what is happening in the NOW. It is crucial to engage with your audience because after all, you are their go-to source regarding the philanthropy you hold so near and dear to your heart.

Step Two: BE AUTHENTIC.

Exhibit your personality and have fun with it. A lot of the time, science-y information and cold hard facts don’t motivate people; emotion elicits positive behavior. Be quirky, be silly and explain why you wholeheartedly support the cause you are constantly blowing up everyone’s social media feeds with. People will only connect to the cause if you personalize it to you and to the audience. They may not be aware that you connect with the cause initially, so you definitely need to make that known. Also, you could show how they could relate to the cause simply because of who they are: a parent, dog owner, fire fighter, etc. You name it! Tweak it not only to how you mesh with the organization, but how they could, too. For example, most people relate to Relay for Life because the majority of people either know someone who has been diagnosed by cancer or they were/are a cancer patient themselves. The bottom line is, make it known that is a collective fight and they, plus yourself, are impacted by what the cause of choice stands for. 

Step Three: BE ILLUSTATIVE.

Not to be cliché, but it is absolutely true when people say “A picture is worth a thousand words.” So, be creative and add videos and pictures that relate to the fundraising cause. Your audience will be attracted to more aesthetically pleasing posts that include videos and photos, instead of just a long, wordy post. This will help you get your point across and simplify the mission you are trying to accomplish. Whether it be an uplifting song, a picture of someone or something that benefits from the donations, it helps to make your goal more tangible and real to your intended audience. For example, I have fundraised for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society before, and I’ve made it a point to include a picture of my mother, who was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma almost three summers ago. Adding stimulating and relatable content will help your fundraising and awareness grow immensely.

Step Four: BE IN THE NOW.

Offer a sense of urgency and convey that timeliness is imperative! This is particularly necessary when it is concerning a fundraising event like a walk, marathon, etc. However, even if the charitable organization doesn’t have a timeframe attached to it, it is still critical in proving to your directed audience that they could be getting a head start and making a positive change in the world today!

Step Five: BE PURPOSEFUL.

The most crucial part of your post is coming full circle, describing the purpose of the organization. Without this part, your potential donors won’t be inclined to give back. Explain the cause fully, but also simply, in order to ensure your audience understands the reason of fundraising and the importance of it. 

Photo credit: 1

Junior at the University of Central Florida. In the words of Britney Spears, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman".
UCF Contributor