Life > Experiences

How To Spend A Day On Campus: Car-Less Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s a tale that has been told far too long before. You see an ad for some extremely cool new place on Instagram, so you race to Google Maps. You type in the name, and sit in anticipation, waiting excitedly for the results: it’s too far away.

For many college students, bringing a car on campus is not a feasible option. Parking passes are pricy, gas is expensive, and there is truly no guarantee of even having a spot to park in. Most of the time, not having a car is fine! It can be blissful not having to worry about whether or not you have a ticket just slowly accumulating painful debt (and sometimes for the most nonsensical reasons), but there are those days when you have nothing to do and no place to go.

Well, I’m here to help! As a second-year with still no car, I’m here to walk you through some ways to have the BEST day on campus.

10 a.m.- breakfast in nature!

I am a total breakfast person, and I truly believe that the best way to start your day off strong is by treating yourself to a nice bacon egg and cheese from Einstein Bagels, or a nice bacon egg and cheese from Starbucks, or for some variety, a bacon egg and cheese from Dunkin! Ignore my impartiality, but truly — UCF is blessed to have several quality low-cost breakfast options, and they’re all within a sustainable walking distance.

Next, to eat your breakfast with a view, take a short trek over to the Arboretum Trails. With a beautiful pavilion for you to enjoy your meal surrounded by gorgeous plants, it is truly the best place on campus to relax. Once you’re done, if you’re feeling up to it, take a walk on one of the nature trails that the Arboretum has to offer. You’re almost guaranteed to see some beautiful flowers and incandescent butterflies that will start your day off totally serene.

12 p.m.- MIdday adventure

There are so many incredible ways that you can create your own little adventure on campus.

If you’re outdoorsy like me, walk over to the Lake Claire recreational area. If you have your student ID on you, you can rent a canoe or kayak 100% free of charge for as long as you want! There is no restriction on how long you can rent it for, so feel free to take a lap around the lake, or boat out to the middle for a quick suntan.

If you’re feeling a little artsy, grab your paint and paintbrushes and take them over to the Arboretum Boardwalk. UCF students have a tradition of going out there and painting on the regulated red boardwalk (if you see a green dragon, that’s mine!). As long as you are respectful of its nature, you can bask in the sunshine and paint whatever your heart desires!

If you like to chill in the A.C., the Student Union, the revered “Heart of the Campus”, has a Coca-Cola-sponsored arcade complete with video games, air hockey, and a pool! It is free to access with your UCF ID, and you are truly guaranteed to have hours of fun.

If you’re a foodie (or just hungry at this point because, me too.), the Student Union offers a ton of solid dining options. Whether you want some comforting Chinese food at Panda Express, a refreshing milkshake at Steak N’ Shake, or a hearty burrito from Qdoba, there truly is something for everyone!

3 p.m.- A dip in the pool, a trip to the spa!

As a college student, you might not have endless days in your chaise, but if you try hard enough, spending some time at the RWC Leisure Pool will truly make you feel like the whole world is according to moi! Open until 5 p.m., the pool is a great way to catch a tan, cool off in the pool, or even play some sports! There are always a ton of people playing volleyball in the pool, and even more playing spikeball on the lawn! Whatever your preference, there are always ways to have a good time.

6 p.m.- Late Knight talking

The reflection pond at UCF
Hannah Mason

After a quick shower, UCF comes to life at night! Check out Instagram to see if the Residence Hall Association, Campus Activities Board, Late Knights, or any RSO has an event going on that night! With so many clubs to choose from, the @UCF_KORT Instagram will always shout out an event going on that you can absolutely attend!

If socializing is not your thing, or maybe nothing caught your eye, UCF sports are always guaranteed to have something in store! In the Spring, baseball, basketball, and softball usually have a high-tension game that will always keep you on your toes.

If you’re exhausted from your long day of activities, take a stroll to the UCF reflecting pond and watch it light up with a stunning sight nightly!

With college life being so stressful, don’t forget to treat yourself every once in a while! There are so many incredible opportunities around campus, and all it takes to find them is a short stroll outside.

Carly is a Clinical Psychology Major at UCF. She loves all sports (volleyball and football especially!), Harry Styles, and British Reality TV Shows.