How To Connect With Your Inner Child During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Is it a whimsical desire to want to be a kid again during the holidays? Maybe. Is it unrealistic? Some might say so. As adults, we are told that the joy of the holidays is a “kid thing,” and that we have no place at that table anymore (quite literally, we are expected to sit at the adult dining table).  

And it’s true that as time goes on, our experience of the holidays gets more complicated and isn’t as idyllic as a Christmas Hallmark movie. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t or shouldn’t create magic for ourselves during the holidays. We can still make this time of year fun, exciting and special by practicing some of the same things that kids naturally do to make the holidays fun for them. 

Play like you did when you were a kid

Did you watch Rudolph every year growing up, dress up in PJ’s for Christmas Eve or go caroling? Then do it this year! Even if you feel like your tradition is goofy or unnecessary or that you’ve outgrown it, it’s our traditions that connect us to our personal histories and can make us feel like a kid again. If a holiday ritual makes you feel happier and lighter, then just do it!

Don’t always be taking pictures 

As kids, most of us didn’t really worry about what things looked like. We weren’t wondering whether our doodles, our games or time spent with friends were cute and Instagram-friendly. It’s fun to take cute pictures and videos for social media and memory-keeping, but I think some of the fun of being a kid is that you’re entirely in the moment — not worrying about yesterday, tomorrow or trying too hard to capture the present. So, take some time to do something you love — going out with friends, painting, dancing to music, baking Christmas cookies — and leave your camera behind.

Honor traditions, but also try new things!

Another thing I feel like kids are great at is going with the flow. Especially since kids can’t drive yet, you have to be okay with wherever the adults in your life take you or say you’re going to. I think that’s another important factor to experiencing fun and excitement in the holidays: breaking out of your regular routines. So, try doing something new this holiday season with an open mind — you might discover a great new tradition you want to keep for years to come.

Create a special gift

As a kid, I remember making cards for my family members and spending forever picking out or making the perfect presents for each person. I would get so excited looking forward to Christmas when they finally would open it. I feel kids are great at making special gifts, and it’s more “acceptable” for kids to make a homemade gift (whereas when you get older, you are expected to buy expensive or fancy ones). Let’s return to that practice of homemade gifts — and for inspiration, you can find really cute gift ideas on Pinterest, like homemade holiday bark, DIY cookie mixes or card designs. 

Spend time with the children in your life

When I was about 12, I started spending time at Christmas gatherings with my cousin, who is about eight years younger than me. During my teen years when I was starting to lose the magic of the holiday season, spending time with her on Christmas Eve helped me see Christmas through her eyes. I remember that we played at the playground, went caroling throughout the house and made glitter Christmas slime. For several years, we played princess makeover games together on my iPad, and we unwrapped presents together. Kids can feel left out at holiday gatherings where adults talk about the “adult things,” so taking some time to talk with them, asking what they’re excited about for Christmas and playing games with them can be fun for the both of you.

The holiday season seems to be automatically full of magic and wonder for children; we can still create some of this awe for ourselves as adults celebrating the holiday season. We can recreate some magic from childhood by practicing old traditions, but we can also build new memories by trying out new things. I know the holiday season is by no means a perfect time, and for many people, it can be a very hard time. But that doesn’t mean we can’t strive to create child-like wonder, magic and joy for ourselves in the holiday season.

I'm a proud Knight who graduated summa cum laude in Spring of 2023, with a bachelor's of science in communication sciences and disorders, minor in psychology, human resources certificate, and leadership studies certificate. In undergrad I volunteered at UCF Aphasia House's program Aphasia Family to facilitate a community group for adult stroke survivors with aphasia, an acquired communication disorder. I also worked at the UCF Aphasia and Related Conditions (ARC) Research Lab and at the ASD Adult Achievement Center during college. Building meaningful connections with others through all forms of communication (the spoken word, prose and poetry, music, art, and theater) is my passion. My articles on Her Campus focus on mental health and self-care, minimalism, and using personality assessments (like MBTI and enneagram) to foster a deeper understanding of others and yourself. Currently I am taking a gap semester and plan to return for my master's degree in 2024.