This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Whether it was a night spent alone with a movie or someone who let you down, I’m sure we’ve all sworn off February 14 at one point or another. For so many, Valentine’s Day has become a day of negative reflection and loneliness. It doesn’t help when your social media becomes packed with anniversary dates and seemingly perfect photos. How could you not feel disappointed? It may seem like a difficult answer. Yet, we have to make sure that when we wake up the morning of the 14th that we don’t catch the Valentine’s Day blues. Here’s how:

1. Remind Yourself That You Aren’t Alone

I know this sounds cheesy, but hear me out. I have sat in the single seat while people try to convince me that I shouldn’t feel alone. I never listened and I’m here to tell you I wish I did. There’s no reason to be so upset! Why does a relationship define your happiness? Being an independent woman is exquisite. Embrace who you are, what you have and what lies ahead. It’s self-love that we need to be practicing this Valentine’s Day. 

2. Make Homemade Valentines 

Don’t you remember passing out valentines in elementary school? Each card had a colorful saying on it with a sugary heart-shaped lollipop. I know it may seem like a lifetime ago, but the feeling you got when you read each one was priceless. Why does that have to stay in our childhood? It’s about time to bring it back. Pick up some pink and red pens, paper and some sweets. Being able to put a smile on your friends or families faces will make your Valentine’s Day that much better. 

3. Surround Yourself With People That Make You Smile

Unpopular opinion: Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be just about significant others. It should be about all the people in our lives that we love. Our significant others and our best friends, our parents… our dogs. Don’t let yourself be alone on Valentine’s Day knowing that you have so many people around you that love you. Make plans to go out to dinner with your friends, stay in with your parents or have a nice day with your dog. 

4. Listen to Spotify’s “Love Ballads” Playlist

Spotify calls it the “50 of the World’s Most Beautiful Love Songs” and I couldn’t agree more. Every emotion love could inflict is expressed from Mario’s 2004 hit “Let Me Love You” to Beyoncé’s independence anthem “Best Thing I Never Had.” You’ll never want to turn it off. The playlist has all of your middle school anthems, high school heartbreaks, college parties and everything in between. Find a speaker (or your headphones turned on high) and let loose! The best way to cheer anyone up is with good music and a good dance. 

5. Discount Candy on February 15

The absolute best part of Valentine’s day is candy, candy and more candy. Don’t forget that after every holiday, CVS and many other stores try to get rid of their decorations as quickly as possible. It just so happens that most of the decorations are many mouth-watering types of chocolate. Grab all the types you haven’t tried before, because that’s how you’ll find new favorites.

Although it seems small, these things have been a remedy for my single Valentine’s Day for more years than I can remember. We won’t let the Valentine’s Day blues catch up to you this year. XOXO. 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Haley is from Boston, Massachusetts. Her hometown is where Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and Dorris Goodwin lived, so writing has always been a hobby of hers. She is currently a freshman at University of Central Florida majoring in biomedical sciences and minoring in creative writing. Her favorite things include butterflies, roses, watching movies, going to art museums, eating Mexican food, and being with friends. If you can't find her, always check The Mall at Millenia.
UCF Contributor