How to Salvage a Horrendous Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When the fall season rolls around our excitement for the holidays grows exponentially. And the first of the big three to arrive is Halloween. Multiple kinds of candy are flying off the shelves of grocery stores. Decorative spider webs and skeletons are hung on the doors of houses and dorm rooms alike. And best off all, ideas for costumes are being thrown around left and right.

Sexy or scary?

Clever or basic?

Group costume or going solo?

I for one chose to go solo this year and quickly ordered my costume from what I thought was a reputable website. I couldn’t have been more wrong about that.

When I received my costume three days after ordering it, I expected to receive something looked exactly like the costume I saw in the photo online. What I ended up with was something that vaguely looked like the picture, but the buttons were diagonal rather than straight, the bunny tail was impossible to pin, the leotard itself made me look like square, and the bowtie might as well have been a regular tie with how low it hung on my neck.

Luckily with a needle and thread, scissors, a trip to my own closet, and some patience I was able to fix everything that was wrong with my thirty-seven-dollar purchase. If I could have avoided this situation I would have, but after having experienced it I would hate for anyone to have to deal with this blindly like I did.

So here are three tips to salvaging a horrendous Halloween costume!

1. DIG THROUGH YOUR CLOSET (Or Borrow from a Roommates!)

Sometimes the difference between horrible and awesome is just looking through what you already own. There is a reason so many costumes are made from regular clothing. And if you don’t own anything that can work, don’t be afraid to ask your roommates or your friends. They might very well be willing to help you out.

2. ALTER IT A LITTLE

I for one know that UCF sells sewing kits in the Pod in the Academic Village, so if you realize that a needle and thread will make all the difference for your costume disaster maybe a quick trip would be beneficial for you. I for one had never actually sewn until my costume fail so technically speaking, never having sewn before isn’t entirely an excuse. And if you definitely can’t sew yourself, you probably have a friend that knows how to do so.

3. ALTER IT A LOT

Now this was a suggestion from one my closest friends. If absolutely nothing can save your costume, then tear it to pieces and rebuild it. For instance, if you bought a wild monster suit and it’s way too tight or way too loose, cut it up and turn it into a cute two piece costume that will make all your ghouls jealous.

And if none of these methods can save your costume, just remember that a ghost is always a great way to go.

Photo credit: 1

Christian is a 2020 UCF graduate and Creative Writing and Legal Studies duel major and an aspiring novelist working on her debut novel. One look at her color-coded closet and it’s obvious why Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Devil Wears Prada are her favorite movies of all time. If she’s not spending all her money on clothes and high heels, she’s probably out buying more books to go on her already overstuffed bookshelf. The women she looks up to most are J.K. Rowling, the queen of all things literary, and Anna Wintour, the queen of all of thing fashion. If she could be a combination of them by the time she’s thirty, she will have proudly hit her peak.
UCF Contributor