How to Make Your First Month as a Vegetarian a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’ve been a vegetarian for about a month and a half now and I wanted to start off this piece by saying that I’ve eaten meat practically my whole life. It was something that I had grown so accustomed to that I wasn’t even thinking about what I was eating or the choices I was making. I decided to go vegetarian for a number of reasons ranging from animal creulty to health benefits and I have to say that the pros thus far have most definitely outweighed the cons (if there are any). Becoming a vegetarian was always something that I wanted to do but I never thought I had the willpower or the means to do so. I never wanted to be “inconvenient” or I was lazy and didn’t know what to make as a substitute protein for meat. I came up with excuses and I stuck with my normal routine and lifestyle even though I knew what I really wanted to do and why I wanted to do it. What I wish I really had when i was conflicted about making thnis lifestyle change so many years ago was advice and someone to tell me that it was the right decision, even if it may be a little bit more “inconvenient”. For those of you who are trying to decide if making the change is right for you and even for those of you who already are vegetarians and just want to join in on the fun,  I decided to put together a little welcoming packet and also share some tips and tricks about how to survive certain situations that you will most likely come across. 

During your first month as a vegetarian, there are going to be a lot of feelings that you will have and a lot of nosy people who want to know why you’re doing what you are doing, but just remember to take a deep breath and read my step by step guide on how to deal with any dilemmas you may face. 

1. It’s Okay To Mess Up.

Especially if yuo’ve eaten meat your whole life you may make a few mistakes during the first week or so. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you accidentally eat something that has a little bit of bacon in it or if you find yourself trying to order chicken nuggets in the McDonalds drive thru. All that matters is you think twice, correct your mistake and make sure to remind yourself that you’re imperfect and you’re simply transitioning from old habits to new. 

2. Take Small Steps. 

If you don’t want to completely go cold turkey and become a vegan or a vegetarian from eating all types of meat, there are always transitional options. You can opt out of eating beef or you can become a pescatarian, which is someone that only eats seafood. There are plenty of options and you can take small steps to eventually become a full vegetarian, or even a vegan if you wish to do so. 

3. You Don’t Have to Explain Yourself. 

A lot of people will probably ask you why you’ve decided to make this lifestyle change. You don’t have to always give them a generic answer and you don’t have to answer them altogether if you don’t wish to. People do things for all sorts of reasons and they don’t need to justify why they are doing them, so why should you have to? Of course, if you want to tell your story then feel free to do so, but there will probably be a lot of nosy people who just want to get a rise out of you or who have differing opinions on the matter. 

4. Plan Ahead.

Make sure to go grocery shopping ahead of time so you aren’t stuck with no food at home and no means to go shopping with. Also, look into what restaraunts have vegetarian options and map out which ones are close to you so that you know where you can go out to eat when/if you plan to do so. Almost all restaraunts have at least a salad that is a healthy option and can provide you with nutrients that will sustain you. 

5. Meal Prep. 

Becoming a vegetarian will allow you to find new ways and new meals to cook. You will be able to use a variety of ingredients to spice things up and will be inspired to create a number of dishes to provide you with alternative protein. Planning your meals ahead of time and preparing them by putting them in Tupperware for the next day or so will give you the freedom to already have your meal ready and will allow you to have enough food for multiple meals. 

6. Remember Why You Are Doing It. 

Sometimes when transitioning into a new way of life or a new dietary style, it may be complex and a little bit hard. Obviously, there will be reasons that you are partaking in this lifestyle change, but sometimes it can be refreshing to remind yourself why you are changing it up and how it is going to benefit you in the long run. Always staying grounded and in the moment can only do more harm than good and will allow you to see things clearly. 

7. Don’t Feel Uncomfortable. 

Don’t feel weird about being the “vegetarian friend”. I’m sure people will say, “I tried doing that once” or “I could NEVER do that”, but they aren’t you. Vegetarianism isn’t for everyone and you may even find out that it’s not for you, but it’s definitely worth a try. You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable for wanting to take advantage of the food that the earth has provided you with and you shouldn’t feel inconvenient asking waiters about ingredients or if you want to have a meal without meat on it. Your preferences are important and they shouldn’t be made to feel inferior in any way. 

8. Investigate New Methods. 

Look into new meals to make, new ways to recieve protein and nutrients and new ways to stay inspired. It is always good to not only do some research but to also always be curious. There are so many meal recipes out there and new ways to make dishes that you may already be familiar with but that can be converted into a vegetable form that may taste even better and be way healthier. 

9. Be a Super Star. 

Out of all of this advice, this piece is the most important. When doing anything in life, remember to not let yourself become too stressed out and to always stay true to who you are. Vegetarianism should be an experience that allows you to find new ways to cook, consume and purchase food that will provide positive health benefits to both you (and obviously to our animal friends). 

All in all, your first month of becoming a vegetarian may be somewhat challenging or you may have no problem at all, but either way, I hope that you find this advice to be uplifting and useful in your transitional period and in the days that follow. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor