How to Have a Healthy Relationship: With Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Well, I’m not an expert. I don’t have a completed degree, certainly not a medical or psychological one, but I do know a thing or two about being so caught up in all the outside crap that I forget to take care of myself. Here at Her Campus, we love to talk about relationships and we undoubtedly love our hunks and hotties, but more important than any relationship you will ever have in life is the one you have with yourself. It’s easy to forget. We’re social creatures by nature and cannot survive alone, so relationships with others are essential to our happiness. But not everything is done with a partner in life. Maybe that’s why the college-age exploration years are so vital – because if you never work on finding yourself and getting acquainted with that person, who are you going to hang onto when you’re stuck on your own?

I know it all sounds, well, daunting. It is. But I’m learning that it’s okay, and I’m not alone just like you’re not alone. The one thing humans struggle with the most, throughout history, is the idea of identity. It feeds into all aspects of life including interactions, science, and our personal impacts on the world around us. All that we do is a part, a reflection, of who we are. So it’s really hard to be in a new place, on your own for the first time, and struggling with who you’re going to be and where your place is in this world.

It’ll be a work in progress, and it can’t be figured out overnight. But in the meantime, while you’re going through life, staying positive is a very important way to help yourself. If you focus on all the bad, you’re unable to notice all the good. So here’s some ways to stay positive and strengthen the relationship you have with yourself.

Take a time out

Try a distraction like a funny movie or a TV show. Browse around Hulu or Netflix for a new show, or head over to a bookstore for a new adventure. Getting away from your own worries is definitely helpful. Even getting more sleep can help you out!

Take a dose of spirituality. Try yoga or meditation. Don’t worry about the struggling, and refuel your own energies. There are classes at the gym and plenty of resources online for you to use to develop your own peace-giving routine. Regular exercise and a healthy-as-possible diet are extremely important to keeping you feeling brighter. This is because the natural endorphins that are released through exercise act as a stress reliever and mood stabilizer, and healthier foods will make you feel cleaner inside and out!

Spa time

Do your nails or take a bubble bath if that makes you feel relaxed. Sometimes a new nail color is enough to make you feel a little newer. Maybe get a massage if you have some extra spending money. The key is to make yourself feel calmer.

Take yourself out

For coffee, a smoothie – some small present that’ll make you feel good. Take yourself out on a little date of your own. See that movie you’ve been waiting to come out or take a stroll in the park.

Take on a new project

Pinterest is definitely a wonderful resource for finding fun, inexpensive crafts. Making something gives you a sense of accomplishment and can make you feel less stressed. There are no consequences if you screw up a craft; it’s just for fun. You could try making yourself some inspirational posters to put in your room, reminding you to push on. Find some quotes that are meaningful to you and put them on a poster. Stencils and cut-outs can make evening out the letters easier too.

Do something positive

Find some volunteer work. There’s Volunteer UCF you can get involved with for any event that’ll fit into your schedule, or you can look elsewhere in your area. It’s all a matter of reaching out and doing a little research. Grab a friend and go together!

Just say no

I learned this important lesson to not take on more than I have to. Don’t give yourself more stress than is necessary. If you can let go of a task that someone else can handle or you really don’t have to do, let it go. Obviously keep your priorities in check (as in you probably shouldn’t skip class), but give yourself a break.

Remember, there’s society and then there’s you. You don’t have you follow the crowd. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein.

Avoid the stuff that gets on your nerves – take a break from social media. Keep away from the annoying people if you can, but try not to skip class to circumvent the ignorance dripping from them.

Don’t isolate yourself when you’re feeling down. You can talk to a friend or family or seek out the counseling center. They really do help. Seeking help from a professional is not a weakness. It’s actually a strength; it’s saying, “I need a little help because I’m having some troubles, and I’m going to do something to help myself.” You are number one priority, so treat yourself that way. 

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
UCF Contributor